all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Should 'old-branches' and 'other-branches' be kept?
@ 2014-02-11 20:33 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-02-11 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I'm looking at the old0branches and other-branches remote groups.  It
seems pretty clear that most of these were either marged to trunk or
abandoned during the CVS period.  Are any of them worth keeping
around?

old-branches/EMACS_21_1_RC
old-branches/EMACS_22_BASE
old-branches/EMACS_23_1_RC
old-branches/NewVC-fileset
old-branches/branch-5_8
old-branches/cedet-branch
old-branches/elpa
old-branches/emacs-unicode
old-branches/emacs-unicode-2
old-branches/font-backend
old-branches/gerd_defvaralias
old-branches/gnus-5_10-branch
old-branches/imagemagick
old-branches/lexbind
old-branches/lexbind-new
old-branches/multi-tty
old-branches/pending
old-branches/profiler
old-branches/python
old-branches/rmail-mbox-branch
old-branches/unicode-xft
old-branches/window-pub
other-branches/Boehm-GC
other-branches/Boehm-versions
other-branches/DAVELOVE
other-branches/FLYSPELL
other-branches/ILYA
other-branches/URL
other-branches/VENDOR
other-branches/XFT_JHD_BRANCH
other-branches/custom_themes
other-branches/fx-branch
other-branches/gerd_0001
other-branches/gerd_big
other-branches/gerd_dbe
other-branches/gerd_int
other-branches/glibc-2_0_x
other-branches/master-UNNAMED-BRANCH
other-branches/miles-orphaned-changes
other-branches/old-bidi
other-branches/old-concurrency
other-branches/patches_21_0
other-branches/test2
other-branches/thomas-posix1996
other-branches/ttn-vms-21-2-stash
other-branches/ttn-vms-21-3-stash

--
				>>esr>>

* Re: Should 'old-branches' and 'other-branches' be kept?
@ 2014-02-12  1:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-12  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'm looking at the old0branches and other-branches remote groups.  It
> seems pretty clear that most of these were either marged to trunk or
> abandoned during the CVS period.  Are any of them worth keeping
> around?

http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/README says:

   [...]
   `old-branches' Directory of branches that have been merged into trunk already.
   `other-branches' Directory of various other branches.
   [...]

I don't see any point in getting rid of them, tho.

* Re: Should 'old-branches' and 'other-branches' be kept?
@ 2014-02-12  3:23   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-02-12  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/README says:
>
>    [...]
>    `old-branches' Directory of branches that have been merged into trunk already.
>    `other-branches' Directory of various other branches.
>    [...]
>
> I don't see any point in getting rid of them, tho.

As requested by Andreas Schwab, I'm trying to do lifetime analysis on
the =-prefixed attic files from RCS so they can be renamed and have
correct deletion points.  There are plenty of cases of the same file existing
under both both =-prefixed and non-prefixed names; when that happens, I
have to do a lot of hand-work to figure out what's actually going on,

The dead branches complicate this process a *lot*, esoecially the part
where I back up through the history looking for a ChangeLog entry marking
the actual deletion point.  I just figured out that the reason I've only
found two real deletion points in sixteen tries is because the dead
branches are getting in the way.

This makes me want to chop them all off.

* Re: Should 'old-branches' and 'other-branches' be kept?
@ 2014-02-12 14:01     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The dead branches complicate this process a *lot*, esoecially the part
> where I back up through the history looking for a ChangeLog entry marking
> the actual deletion point.  I just figured out that the reason I've only
> found two real deletion points in sixteen tries is because the dead
> branches are getting in the way.

I don't understand why those branches make any difference, unless you're
trying to do your analysis also on those branches, which is
not worthwhile.  Just preserve their info "as-is".  The only important
part is that if someone wants to look at them he doesn't need to go back
to Bzr.

* Re: Should 'old-branches' and 'other-branches' be kept?
@ 2014-02-12 14:30       ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-02-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> I don't understand why those branches make any difference, unless you're
> trying to do your analysis also on those branches, which is
> not worthwhile.

I'm trying to fix up the attic filenames everywhere. They occur on the
old branches as well as on the

> Just preserve their info "as-is".  The only important
> part is that if someone wants to look at them he doesn't need to go back
> to Bzr.

OK, I believe I've worked out a way to do that.