all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Android Implementation of Emacs
@ 2014-01-19 20:33 Umar
From: Umar @ 2014-01-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I downloaded an implementation of Emacs from Google Play store. I am trying to make it work on my Samsung Note 2. Does anyone know which key maps to Ctrl and Esc (on the smartphone keyboard)?

Thanks for any pointers.

* Re: Android Implementation of Emacs
@ 2014-01-20  0:51 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-01-20  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Umar wrote:
> I downloaded an implementation of Emacs from Google Play store. I am
> trying to make it work on my Samsung Note 2. Does anyone know which
> key maps to Ctrl and Esc (on the smartphone keyboard)?

I suggest installing Hacker's Keyboard.  It has control and escape
keys missing from the Android keyboard.

Bob

* Re: Android Implementation of Emacs
@ 2014-01-22 22:31 ` Pete Ley
From: Pete Ley @ 2014-01-22 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Umar <ramu.iyer@gmail.com> writes:

> I downloaded an implementation of Emacs from Google Play store. I am trying to make it work on my Samsung Note 2. Does anyone know which key maps to Ctrl and Esc (on the smartphone keyboard)?

I was under the impression that the Android Emacs implementation
requires a hardware keyboard. On my Galaxy Note I open it and have no
way to open my software keyboard and need to use a BT keyboard.

Is there a way to use an Android soft keyboard with the Emacs on the
Play store?

* Re: Android Implementation of Emacs
@ 2014-01-22 22:51   ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-01-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pete Ley wrote:
> Umar writes:
> > I downloaded an implementation of Emacs from Google Play store. I
> > am trying to make it work on my Samsung Note 2. Does anyone know
> > which key maps to Ctrl and Esc (on the smartphone keyboard)?
>
> I was under the impression that the Android Emacs implementation
> requires a hardware keyboard. On my Galaxy Note I open it and have no
> way to open my software keyboard and need to use a BT keyboard.

There are two definitions for "requires".  1) Is it technically
possible to use?  Yes.  2) It is easy to use?  Would you actually use
it that way?  No.

I think for sanity that you will want to use a hardware keyboard.  I
know that is the only way I want to use it.  But that is mostly
because the tablet is designed as a data browsing device and not as a
data creation device.  You really want a real keyboard for normal use
or you would go insane very quickly.  But it is technically possible
to use control and esc keys using the soft keyboard even though it is
tediously difficult.

> Is there a way to use an Android soft keyboard with the Emacs on the
> Play store?

Have you tried using Hacker's Keyboard yet?

Bob