all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnuplot persist does not work using Emacs comint
@ 2013-12-16  8:05 Alex van der Spek
From: Alex van der Spek @ 2013-12-16  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

May be this is more a gnuplot issue. But the gnuplot news group is silent
about this issue. I do have gnuplot mode working but not using it here.

~/$ gnuplot -p -e 'plot x'

Does indeed bring up a terminal which persists.

The same when run from a bash shell inside emacs works fine too.

But when executing this as a comint process, i.e. using Emacs as the
shell script editor and running the shell script it does not. The plot is
generated and disappears immediately.

I am relatively new to Emacs. Perhaps I am just trying things too
difficult for me at this stage. Not quite sure what comint is to begin
with.

Thoughts? All help welcome.
Alex van der Spek

* Re: gnuplot persist does not work using Emacs comint
@ 2013-12-16 16:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.9414.1387223882.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Alex van der Spek <zdoor@xs4all.nl>
> Date: 16 Dec 2013 08:05:35 GMT
>
> May be this is more a gnuplot issue. But the gnuplot news group is silent
> about this issue. I do have gnuplot mode working but not using it here.
>
> ~/$ gnuplot -p -e 'plot x'
>
> Does indeed bring up a terminal which persists.
>
> The same when run from a bash shell inside emacs works fine too.
>
> But when executing this as a comint process, i.e. using Emacs as the
> shell script editor and running the shell script it does not. The plot is
> generated and disappears immediately.

On what OS is that?

* Re: gnuplot persist does not work using Emacs comint
@ 2013-12-16 19:57 ` Bob Proulx
       [not found] ` <mailman.9414.1387223882.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-12-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex van der Spek wrote:
> ~/$ gnuplot -p -e 'plot x'
> But when executing this as a comint process, i.e. using Emacs as the
> shell script editor and running the shell script it does not. The plot is
> generated and disappears immediately.

How are you doing this?  When I tried the above it worked for me in
that the window persisted.  Please say exactly what it is that you are
doing so that others may recreate the issue.  Also please say the
version of emacs you are using.  And also what operating system you
are using.

> difficult for me at this stage. Not quite sure what comint is to begin
> with.

The comint.el file describes itself this way:

;; This file defines a general command-interpreter-in-a-buffer package
;; (comint mode).  The idea is that you can build specific process-in-a-buffer
;; modes on top of comint mode -- e.g., Lisp, shell, scheme, T, soar, ....
;; This way, all these specific packages share a common base functionality,
;; and a common set of bindings, which makes them easier to use (and
;; saves code, implementation time, etc., etc.).

Bob

@ 2013-12-16 20:51   ` Alex van der Spek
From: Alex van der Spek @ 2013-12-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:57:47 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Alex van der Spek wrote:
>> ~/$ gnuplot -p -e 'plot x'
>> But when executing this as a comint process, i.e. using Emacs as the
>> shell script editor and running the shell script it does not. The plot
>> is generated and disappears immediately.
>
> How are you doing this?  When I tried the above it worked for me in that
> the window persisted.  Please say exactly what it is that you are doing
> so that others may recreate the issue.  Also please say the version of
> emacs you are using.  And also what operating system you are using.
>
>> difficult for me at this stage. Not quite sure what comint is to begin
>> with.
>
> The comint.el file describes itself this way:
>
> ;; This file defines a general command-interpreter-in-a-buffer package
> ;; (comint mode).  The idea is that you can build specific
> process-in-a-buffer ;; modes on top of comint mode -- e.g., Lisp, shell,
> scheme, T, soar, .... ;; This way, all these specific packages share a
> common base functionality, ;; and a common set of bindings, which makes
> them easier to use (and ;; saves code, implementation time, etc., etc.).
>
> Bob

Sorry about that! The Emacs version is:

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-05-18 on roseapple, modified by Debian

Working under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

When I open a buffer with M-x shell and subsequently give the gnuplot
command everything works as expected. The plot window persists.

When I open a shell buffer C-x C-f try.sh and enter the same gnuplot call
it does produce the plot window (after making the saved bash script
executable) and executing it with C-c C-x but this does not persist. The
interpretation buffer contents after execution is:

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Comint started at Mon Dec 16 21:50:15

/home/alex/try.sh

Comint finished at Mon Dec 16 21:50:15

Hope this helps.