all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-28  8:53 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello there, first post :)

I've just been compiling 'emacs 24.3.50' from the git repo, which went
with no problems. I then try to open 'emacs' from the command-line, but
emacs sticks open, in a frozen unusable state saying 'compiler-macro
error for cl--block-wrapper: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
`max-lisp-eval-depth`")'.

How do I rescue it please so that I can use it again please? Or
should I report it upstream somewhere as a bug?

I currently have 'emacs23' and 'emacs-snapshot' installed on my system
which both work with no problems.

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian stable, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice  4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-28 16:16 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-28 17:03   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-28 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Pete, comments inline.

@ 2013-09-28 17:46     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:03:20 +0100
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:

> Thanks Pete, comments inline.
>
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:16:58 +0200
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> > Am 28.09.2013 um 10:53 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
> >
> > > How do I rescue it please so that I can use it again please?
> >
> > It /might/ be possible to attach a debugger to it and read out some
> > data… But when it's the first launch and it instantly became
> > unusable, then read below!
> >
> > > Or should I report it upstream somewhere as a bug?
> >
> > This might be a "normal" state of a momentarily unusable state of
> > the GNU Emacs software. It can also be that your init file(s) are
> > provoking the error. Launching it with -q or -Q might render it
> > usable!
>
> emacs -q # shows the newly compiled emacs, with a coloured background
> and the splash screen.
> emacs -Q # shows the newly compiled emacs, with a white background and
> no splash screen.
>
> So it appears that the fault lies within my .emacs then, so I'll start
> seeking it out.
> >
> > If not, then kill it and make distclean, update again, configure
> > again, compile again, and launch GNU Emacs again. You can also play
> > with configure options, use a different compiler or different
> > compiler options. If you develop GNU Emacs 24.3.50 in your GNU Emacs
> > 23(.4?), you will have a readable log from the configure step (in
> > the *compilation* buffer from M-x compile RET ./configure … RET) and
> > possibly find findings which configure should not have found. These
> > can cause the described failure…
> >
> I'm not really a developer of anything except bash scripts, but I'll
> bear the above comments in mind for the future, thanks.
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

I spoke too soon, the error message that is shown is - 'compiler-macro
error for cl--block-wrapper: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
`max-lisp-eval-depth`")'. To my untutored eye this sounds like
something that happened when it was compiled? Agreed? If so, then I'll
recompile it tomorrow and try again.

Thanks
Sharon.
- --

@ 2013-09-28 18:20       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-28 18:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-09-28 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:53:13 +0100
> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net>
>
> I've just been compiling 'emacs 24.3.50' from the git repo, which went
> with no problems. I then try to open 'emacs' from the command-line, but
> emacs sticks open, in a frozen unusable state saying 'compiler-macro
> error for cl--block-wrapper: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
> `max-lisp-eval-depth`")'.
>
> How do I rescue it please so that I can use it again please? Or
> should I report it upstream somewhere as a bug?

This bug was fixed a few days ago.  I guess your git repo is not up to
date.

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-28 18:44   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-28 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:33:24 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:53:13 +0100
> > From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net>
> >
> > I've just been compiling 'emacs 24.3.50' from the git repo, which
> > went with no problems. I then try to open 'emacs' from the
> > command-line, but emacs sticks open, in a frozen unusable state
> > saying 'compiler-macro error for cl--block-wrapper: (error "Lisp
> > nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth`")'.
> >
> > How do I rescue it please so that I can use it again please? Or
> > should I report it upstream somewhere as a bug?
>
> This bug was fixed a few days ago.  I guess your git repo is not up to
> date.

Updating now, thanks.

@ 2013-09-29 10:39   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:33:24 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:53:13 +0100
> > From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net>
> >
> > I've just been compiling 'emacs 24.3.50' from the git repo, which
> > went with no problems. I then try to open 'emacs' from the
> > command-line, but emacs sticks open, in a frozen unusable state
> > saying 'compiler-macro error for cl--block-wrapper: (error "Lisp
> > nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth`")'.
> >
> > How do I rescue it please so that I can use it again please? Or
> > should I report it upstream somewhere as a bug?
>
> This bug was fixed a few days ago.  I guess your git repo is not up to
> date.

Well I've updated my git repo twice now and compiled emacs twice yet I
still have that message appearing, and emacs is still unusable, so it
must be relating to my .emacs.

I've therefore put my .emacs online at
https://github.com/boudiccas/dots/blob/master/emacs/.emacs and would be
grateful if someone could show me where that error messages is being
created from because I cant see it!

@ 2013-09-29 11:31     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-29 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-29 13:41       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-29 13:48         ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2013-09-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-09-29 16:41, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Is there a way of automating the commenting out half the .emacs please
> rather than having to do it tediously by hand?

If you tracked it with a versionning tool, you could also be able to
"bissect".

--
RMA.

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-29 14:07         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2013-09-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

    Is there a way of automating the commenting out half the .emacs please
    rather than having to do it tediously by hand?

Look at C-x rt (and while you're there, C-x rk).

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-29 15:21         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-30  7:38           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-30  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-30  9:21             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-30  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
@ 2013-09-30 11:04               ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-09-30 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:21:17 +0200
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2013 um 09:38 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
>
> > However, I have just downloaded and
> > installed the latest emacs-snapshot, currently at 24.3.50.1, and
> > that has started and loaded perfectly okay!
>
> This *can* indicate that you are still using buggy GNU Emacs source
> code for building. (I fetch mine with bzr.)
>
> Anyway, you have now the option to invoke report-emacs-bug or choose
> from the Help menu "Send Bug Report…". The eMail it creates has two
> interesting items for you: the configure options used to build that
> binary, which you could reuse for your own attempts to build a
> development (i.e., unstable, not guaranteed to work) version of GNU
> Emacs, and later a section "Load-path shadows". This is a list of
> ELisp files that override the default GNU Emacs Lisp files. It is
> possible that some of these "shadowing" files cause the error. The
> following code, put into some init file (your's or the system's),
> will report in the *Messages* buffer which ELisp file was loaded
> before the freeze happened:
>
> 	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
> 	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))
>
> The German "Lade jetzt" means "Now loading". You could also insert
> into your init file
>
> 	(setq debug-on-error t)
>
> that an ELisp debugger is started when an error is caught. It opens a
> *Backtrace* window in which, from bottom to top, it is listed how it
> happened that the error occurred.
>
> In the case of a freeze it's of course best the *Messages* or the
> *Backtrace* buffer is displayed –  maybe this works by setting
> dedicated frame or window, but I have no idea how to achieve this. (I
> would probably use a (switch-to-buffer "*Messages*) statement before
> every line provoking a load of ELisp.)

Sorry Pete, I didn’t explain myself fully. The emacs-snapshot comes from
'http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/' which is a repository to give .deb
files which are pre-compiled and ready to be used once installed using
the debian package manager. I hope this clarifies it now?

Thanks
Sharon.
- --
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots