all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs verilog mode
@ 2013-08-14  0:54 Paul Cheng
From: Paul Cheng @ 2013-08-14  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Emacs would reformat my verilog file after I press enter/return, is there any way to stop it from doing that?
My init.el is attached.

Thank you,
Paul

________________________________

This message and any attached documents contain information from QLogic Corporation or its wholly-owned subsidiaries that may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

[-- Attachment #2: init.el --]

(put 'eval-expression 'disabled nil)
;;(load "hilit19")

      (global-set-key "%" 'match-paren)
      (global-set-key "\M-g" 'goto-line) ; [ESC]-[g]
;      (global-set-key "\C-m" 'set-mark-command)  ; CTRL-m --> works
;      (global-set-key "\C-SPC" 'set-mark-command)  ; Not yet working
;      (global-set-key "C-cm" 'set-mark)   --> doesn't work
;(define-key  global-map  "\C-<SPC>"  'set-mark)

      (defun match-paren (arg)
        "Go to the matching parenthesis if on parenthesis otherwise insert %."
        (interactive "p")
        (cond ((looking-at "\\s\(") (forward-list 1) (backward-char 1))
              ((looking-at "\\s\)") (forward-char 1) (backward-list 1))
              (t (self-insert-command (or arg 1)))))

;; Remove splash screen
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

(setq explicit-shell-file-name "/bin/tcsh")

(setq mail-archive-file-name "~/.Omail")
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
; --- this is annoying
;(setq text-mode-hook '(lambda () (auto-fill-mode 1)))

;(setq explicit-shell-file-name "/bin/csh")

(defun find-file-new-window (filename)
  (interactive "FFind file in a new window: ")
  (split-window-vertically)
  (find-file-other-window filename))

(defun prev-window ()
  (interactive)
  (other-window -1)
  )

(defun justify-paragraph ()
  (interactive)
  (fill-paragraph t)
)
;;------- to fix the c-spc using gnome terminal
;;(global-set-key (kbd "SPC") 'cmd) ; the Space bar key
;(global-set-key (kbd "C-SPC") 'set-mark-cmd)  ; doesn't work, let's try to unset C-@
;(global-set-key [f1] 'set-mark-cmd) ; emacs doesn't like f1 to overtake C-@
;;(global-unset-key (kbd "C-@")) ;; see if unset this would work;; this unsets C-@, but C-SPC still doesn't work

;;----------------------------------------------
;(global-set-key "\C-SPC" 'set-mark-command) ; C-SPC doesn't work; \C-SPC is bad; \C is flagged
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-v" 'find-file-new-window)
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-i" 'insert-file)
(global-set-key "\C-cs" 'shell)
(global-set-key "\C-xn" 'other-window)
(global-set-key "\C-xp" 'prev-window)
(global-set-key "\C-xd" 'delete-window)
(global-set-key "\C-h"  'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key "\C-xl" 'what-line)
(global-set-key "\C-j"  'justify-paragraph)

(define-key lisp-interaction-mode-map "\C-c\C-e" 'eval-print-last-sexp)

(autoload 'byte-compile "bytecomp" "byte-compile a symbol")

(put 'eval-expression 'disabled nil)
(put 'narrow-to-region 'disabled nil)
(put 'narrow-to-page 'disabled nil)

; Sets the "REPLY" command to reply to the sender only, and not
; all recipients of the message.
;(setq rmail-dont-reply-to-names ".+")

;(autoload 'c++-mode "c++-mode" "C++ Editing Mode" t)
;(autoload 'vhdl-mode "vhdl-mode" "VHDL Editing Mode" t)

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.vhd$" . vhdl-mode) ("\\.C$" . c++-mode)
		("\\.h$" . c++-mode) ("\\.ch$" . c++-mode)
		) auto-mode-alist))

;; gnus
;;
;;(autoload 'gnus "gnus" "Read network news." t)
;; (autoload 'gnus-post-news "gnuspost" "Post a news." t)

;; gdb
;;(autoload 'gdb "gdb" "GDB." t)

;; Options Menu Settings
;; =====================
(cond
 ((and (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
       (boundp 'emacs-major-version)
       (or (and
            (= emacs-major-version 19)
            (>= emacs-minor-version 14))
           (= emacs-major-version 20))
       (fboundp 'load-options-file))
  (load-options-file "/home/yogesh/.xemacs-options")))
;; ============================
;; End of Options Menu Settings

;; MACROs for OneNAND Flash
(fset 'reg_prog_main
   [(menu-bar) edit search search-forward ?$ ?q ?e ?l return (menu-bar) edit search search-forward ?. ?r ?a ?w return left left left left ?\C-  (menu-bar) edit search search-backward ?  return right (menu-bar) edit copy (menu-bar) edit search search-backward ?i ?n ?t ?_ ?m ?e ?m ?_ ?a ?r ?r ?a ?y return ?\C-y ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d ?\C-d right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right (menu-bar) edit search search-forward ?- ?s ?t ?a ?r ?t return left left left left left left left ?" ?) ?\; ?\C-  down ?\C-w down left left left ?\C-y ?\C-k (menu-bar) edit search search-backward ?% ?m return right right ?\C-  ?i ?n ?t ?_ ?m ?e ?m ?_ ?a ?r ?r ?a ?y ?\C-  (menu-bar) edit search search-forward ?  return left ?\C-w])

(put 'set-goal-column 'disabled nil)

;;;====P. Cheng completion and set-mark-command
;;(require hippie-exp)

;(setq hippie-expand-try-functions-list
;(try-expand-dabbrev
;try-expand-dabbrev-all-buffers
;try-expand-dabbrev-from-kill
;try-complete-file-name-partially
;try-complete-file-name
;try-complete-lisp-symbol-partially
;try-complete-lisp-symbol
;try-expand-whole-kill))

;;also, I tend to use C-SPC for this instead of set-mark-command:

;(global-set-key (kbd C-SPC) hippie-expand)
; === describe-bindings
;====== set tabspace=4
;(setq c-basic-indent 2)
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
;(setq-default tab-width 4)
(setq default-tab-width 4)
;(setq tab-width 4)
(setq indent-line-function 'insert-tab)
; use the following to for tab stops
;(setq tab-stop-list '(4 8 12 16))
;=====to highlight tabs
; Sets tab width to 4.
(defun set-tab-width-4 ()
  "Set the tab-width variable to 4."
  (interactive)
  (setq tab-width 4)
  (redraw-display)
  (message "*NOTE: Setting tab-width = 4")
)

; Sets tab width to 8.
(defun set-tab-width-8 ()
  "Set the tab-width variable to 8."
  (interactive)
  (setq tab-width 8)
  (redraw-display)
  (message "*NOTE: Setting tab-width = 8")
)

; Sets tab width to 12.
(defun set-tab-width-12 ()
  "Set the tab-width variable to 12."
  (interactive)
  (setq tab-width 12)
  (redraw-display)
  (message "*NOTE: Setting tab-width = 12")
)
;==== see if this will take care of indent caused by newline
;==== no use
;(add-hook 'verilog-mode-hook
;	  '(lambda ()
;	  	     (setq verilog-auto-newline nil
;			 		   verilog-tab-always-indent nil)))
;==== see if this helps; better but not quite
; `verilog-auto-indent-on-newline'   (default nil)
(add-hook 'verilog-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	  	     (define-key verilog-mode-map [newline] 'self-insert-command)))
;==== ; is just semicolon
(add-hook 'verilog-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	  	     (define-key verilog-mode-map ";" 'self-insert-command)))

;====  macro for inserting verilog comment
  (fset 'vericomment
     (lambda (&optional arg) "Keyboard macro." (interactive "p") (kmacro-exec-ring-item (quote ([1 47 47 down] 0 "%d")) arg)))
;=====
(put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)
(put 'downcase-region 'disabled nil)

* Re: emacs verilog mode
@ 2013-08-14  4:52 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-08-14  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Cheng; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Paul Cheng wrote:
> Emacs would reformat my verilog file after I press enter/return, is
> there any way to stop it from doing that?  My init.el is attached.

That sounds like the behavior of verilog-auto-indent-on-newline.

  "Non-nil means automatically indent line after newline."

Check the value of that variable.  Set it to nil if you want to turn
that behavior off.

  M-x set-variable
  verilog-auto-indent-on-newline
  nil

If that is the behavior you want to change then you can set that
variable in your startup file.

  (setq verilog-auto-indent-on-newline nil)

If it is a different behavior then please say some more words about
the problem.  And also if you could include a very small snippet that
we could use that would recreate the problem it would help.

Bob

* RE: emacs verilog mode
@ 2013-08-14 16:27   ` Paul Cheng
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Cheng @ 2013-08-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Bob,

>(setq verilog-auto-indent-on-newline nil)
This takes care of the issue.

Thanks so much,

Paul

@ 2013-09-08 23:52   ` Paul Cheng
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4860.1382997450.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Cheng @ 2013-09-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

How do I prevent emacs from auto-indent on ';' (semicolon)? I can do this for newline (setq verilog-auto-indent-on-newline nil)

However, it doesn't seem to work for semicolon like:
 (setq verilog-auto-indent-on-semicolon nil)

Is there a global command to disable all the verilog-auto-indent?

Thanks,
Paul

________________________________

@ 2013-09-09  0:05     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-09  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a global command to disable all the verilog-auto-indent?

Emacs-24 introduced electric-indent-mode which is meant to control
those things.  But major modes have to be changed to make use of it.
So you might report a bug about the fact that verilog doesn't use
electric-indent-mode.

* RE: emacs verilog mode
@ 2013-10-28 21:57   ` Paul Cheng
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4860.1382997450.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Cheng @ 2013-10-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Resend my earlier email.

I have tried/searched various methods to no avail on how to stop emacs from reformatting on ';' (semicolon) in verilog mode.
Please let me know if there's a solution.

Paul

@ 2013-10-29  3:17     ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-10-29  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:27:10 AM UTC+5:30, Paul Cheng wrote:
> Resend my earlier email.
>

> I have tried/searched various methods to no avail on how to stop emacs from reformatting on ';' (semicolon) in verilog mode.
>
> Please let me know if there's a solution.

This is a poor hack; however since its a 5-month old complaint and still unaddressed, can you try adding this to your init file?  Does it work?

@ 2013-10-29 12:45     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-29 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have tried/searched various methods to no avail on how to stop emacs from
> reformatting on ';' (semicolon) in verilog mode.
> Please let me know if there's a solution.

verilog-mode should obey electric-indent-mode, so please report this as
a bug.