all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to execute code on cursor move
@ 2013-07-13 10:39 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

I want to check a text property and display in the minibuffer depending
on context (in my case, on an org-link).

This is what I have so far (working):

(add-hook 'post-command-hook
	  (lambda()
	    (if (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face) 'org-link)
		(display-message-or-buffer
		 (get-text-property (point) 'help-echo)))))

Is using the post-command-hook a good idea?  Is there something better?
As you can see, I'm trying to get the link target; are there better ways
to do this?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to execute code on cursor move
@ 2013-07-13 11:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:39:03 +0200
> From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>
> I want to check a text property and display in the minibuffer depending
> on context (in my case, on an org-link).
>
> This is what I have so far (working):
>
> (add-hook 'post-command-hook
> 	  (lambda()
> 	    (if (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face) 'org-link)
> 		(display-message-or-buffer
> 		 (get-text-property (point) 'help-echo)))))
>
> Is using the post-command-hook a good idea?

No, because it slows down Emacs's _every_ command.

> Is there something better?

There are the 'point-entered' and 'point-left' text properties.  Make
sure they cover the buffer positions where you want to display the
message in the echo area, and the rest should be easy.

* RE: How to execute code on cursor move
       [not found] ` <<83vc4e4t8a.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-13 13:26   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-13 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

> > I want to check a text property and display in the minibuffer depending
> > on context (in my case, on an org-link).
> >
> > (add-hook 'post-command-hook
> > 	  (lambda()
> > 	    (if (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face) 'org-link)
> > Is using the post-command-hook a good idea?
>
> No, because it slows down Emacs's _every_ command.
>
> > Is there something better?
>
> There are the 'point-entered' and 'point-left' text properties.  Make
> sure they cover the buffer positions where you want to display the
> message in the echo area, and the rest should be easy.

Remember too that the `face' property can be a cons of faces or face
attributes.  So you might not want to test for `org-link' using only `eq'.
IOW, you might want something like this, to check for the presence of
face `org-link':

(let ((face  (get-text-property (point) 'face)))
  (or (eq 'org-link face)
      (and (consp face)  (memq 'org-link face))))

* Re: How to execute code on cursor move
@ 2013-07-13 13:28   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-13 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 02:03:33PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:39:03 +0200
> > From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> >
> > I want to check a text property and display in the minibuffer depending
> > on context (in my case, on an org-link).

 [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> > Is using the post-command-hook a good idea?
>
> No, because it slows down Emacs's _every_ command.

Thank you, I had a feeling that is the case.

> > Is there something better?
>
> There are the 'point-entered' and 'point-left' text properties.  Make
> sure they cover the buffer positions where you want to display the
> message in the echo area, and the rest should be easy.

I have the following snippet based on what you say above:

----------8<--------------------8<----------
;; Text for testing
;; some text description some more

;; setup: add tooltip
(add-text-properties 34 45
		     '(help-echo "tooltip"))

;; test above setup: tooltip b/w 34-45
(get-text-property 40 'help-echo)

;; add special properties
(defun sa-echo-tooltip (old new)
  (display-message-or-buffer (or (get-text-property new 'help-echo) "")))

(add-text-properties
 34 45 '(point-left sa-echo-tooltip point-entered sa-echo-tooltip))
----------8<--------------------8<----------

Now to convert this to something workable I guess I would have to add
the point-left and point-entered properties to all org-links.  I'm not
sure how I can do that, but I guess asking on the Org mode list will be
best.

Thanks a lot!

--

@ 2013-07-13 15:32     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Drew,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 06:26:24AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > I want to check a text property and display in the minibuffer depending
> > > on context (in my case, on an org-link).
> > >
> > > (add-hook 'post-command-hook
> > > 	  (lambda()
> > > 	    (if (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face) 'org-link)
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Is using the post-command-hook a good idea?
> >
> > No, because it slows down Emacs's _every_ command.
> >
> > > Is there something better?
> >
> > There are the 'point-entered' and 'point-left' text properties.  Make
> > sure they cover the buffer positions where you want to display the
> > message in the echo area, and the rest should be easy.
>
> Remember too that the `face' property can be a cons of faces or face
> attributes.  So you might not want to test for `org-link' using only `eq'.
> IOW, you might want something like this, to check for the presence of
> face `org-link':
>
> (let ((face  (get-text-property (point) 'face)))
>   (or (eq 'org-link face)
>       (and (consp face)  (memq 'org-link face))))

I actually saw something very similar in Org mode source but didn't
quite follow everything, so I "simplified" it to what you see
above.  :-p

Thank you very much for the pointer.  Now I understand :).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu