all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problems with X11 forwarding inside frame
@ 2013-05-14 15:20 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-05-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

phe is the local host, gly is the remote host.

From inside a term buffer:

jrm@phe ~ % ssh -f gly 'env | grep -i display; emacsclient -nc'
0;jrm@phe|~DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
Starting Emacs daemon.

So far so good.  The new frame from gly opens.

From inside a term buffer in the new frame from gly:
jrm@gly ~ % xcalc
Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

------

This is isolated to emacs because I can open a remote terminal and X11
forwarding works.
jrm@phe ~ % ssh -f gly 'env | grep -i display; xterm'
0;jrm@phe|~DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

jrm@gly ~ % xcalc # xcalc opens

If I open a local terminal, ssh to gly, then start an emacsclient
everything works fine.  Is there a way to avoid having a local terminal
open for each remote emacs frame and have X11 forwarding work?

Joseph

[parent not found: <mailman.25746.1368546463.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]