all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About `remote-tty'
@ 2013-03-29 23:49 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-03-29 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(elisp) Process Information"):

 -- Function: process-tty-name process
[...]
     If PROCESS represents a program running on a remote host, the
     terminal name used by that program on the remote host is provided
     as process property `remote-tty'.

What does "process property" mean here?

It seems that it's not an overlay property or a text property, maybe
it's a symbol property.  I've used `M-x apropos', searched the archives
and manuals, but nothing helped.  I'd like to read the source code, but
I'm not familiar with process.c.

--
Xue Fuqiao
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: About `remote-tty'
@ 2013-03-29 23:52 ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-03-29 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 07:49:09 +0800
Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> In (info "(elisp) Process Information"):

>  -- Function: process-tty-name process
> [...]
>      If PROCESS represents a program running on a remote host, the
>      terminal name used by that program on the remote host is provided
>      as process property `remote-tty'.

> What does "process property" mean here?

Maybe it means the properties in `process-plist'?

--

@ 2013-03-30  1:25   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-03-30  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

>> In (info "(elisp) Process Information"):
>
>>  -- Function: process-tty-name process
>> [...]
>>      If PROCESS represents a program running on a remote host, the
>>      terminal name used by that program on the remote host is provided
>>      as process property `remote-tty'.
>
>> What does "process property" mean here?
>
> Maybe it means the properties in `process-plist'?

I think so.

A plist is a property list. See

(info "(elisp) Property Lists")

or

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/AlistVsPlist

A bit down in the info node you quoted this is mentioned:

   Every process also has a property list that you can use to store
miscellaneous values associated with the process.

 -- Function: process-get process propname
     This function returns the value of the PROPNAME property of
     PROCESS.

 -- Function: process-put process propname value
     This function sets the value of the PROPNAME property of PROCESS
     to VALUE.

 -- Function: process-plist process
     This function returns the process plist of PROCESS.

* Re: About `remote-tty'
@ 2013-03-30  2:35     ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-03-30  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 02:25:48 +0100
Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
> >> In (info "(elisp) Process Information"):
> >>  -- Function: process-tty-name process
> >> [...]
> >>      If PROCESS represents a program running on a remote host, the
> >>      terminal name used by that program on the remote host is provided
> >>      as process property `remote-tty'.
> >> What does "process property" mean here?
> > Maybe it means the properties in `process-plist'?

> I think so.
[...]

Thank you.  I'll add an `@cindex' to processes.texi.