all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configuring auto complete
@ 2013-03-28 15:35 Jannis
From: Jannis @ 2013-03-28 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Dear Emacs users,

i just installed autocomplete and try to configure emacs so that the
results looks like here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSAuto-complete#toc3

I have this in my .emacs:

;; autocomplete stuff
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/autocomplete/")
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(add-to-list 'ac-dictionary-directories "~/.emacs.d/autocomplete//ac-dict")
(ac-config-default)
(define-key ac-completing-map [tab] 'ac-complete)

However, these nice drop down menues as in the screenshot above do not
show up. When I press tab, possible arguments etc just show up in
another emacs buffer. Do I need to press any particular key? Do I need
to do any specific configuration?

In addition now a browser window is opened automatically when I
partially type a function name until only one possibility is left. Is it
possible to switch this off?

Cheers
Jannis

* Re: configuring auto complete
@ 2013-03-29 16:58 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-03-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 04:35:34PM +0100, Jannis wrote:
> Dear Emacs users,
>

> i just installed autocomplete and try to configure emacs so that the results
> looks like here:

[...]

> However, these nice drop down menues as in the screenshot above do not show
> up. When I press tab, possible arguments etc just show up in another emacs
> buffer. Do I need to press any particular key? Do I need to do any specific
> configuration?

Did you also install popup.el?  I believe that is required to get those
nice menus.

--
Suvayu