all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About advice activation and enabling
@ 2013-02-27  8:30 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've read the "Activation of Advice" and the "Enabling Advice" nodes of the
elisp manual.  But I'm still confused with the differences between them.
Advice does not take effect only when you "activate" advice for the function,
but advice also does not take effect only when the piece of advice is
"disabled".  Can anybody explain the differences between them more clearly?
Thanks.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* Re: About advice activation and enabling
@ 2013-02-27 14:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-27 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've read the "Activation of Advice" and the "Enabling Advice" nodes of the
> elisp manual.  But I'm still confused with the differences between them.

Agreed, it's confusing to me as well, not because of how it's explained
but because it does not match my usual needs.

I recommend you look at the new advising mechanism in trunk (nadvice.el,
not documented in the manual yet, tho).  It's much simpler than the old
one (both in implementation and in concept).