all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About NO-REMAP in `where-is-internal'
@ 2013-02-11  1:23 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-11  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(elisp) Scanning Keymaps"):

 -- Function: where-is-internal command &optional keymap firstonly
          noindirect no-remap
[...]
     The fifth argument, NO-REMAP, determines how this function treats
     command remappings (*note Remapping Commands::).  There are two
     cases of interest:

    If a command OTHER-COMMAND is remapped to COMMAND:
          If NO-REMAP is `nil', find the bindings for OTHER-COMMAND and
          treat them as though they are also bindings for COMMAND.  If
          NO-REMAP is non-`nil', include the vector `[remap
          OTHER-COMMAND]' in the list of possible key sequences,
          instead of finding those bindings.

    If COMMAND is remapped to OTHER-COMMAND:
          If NO-REMAP is `nil', return the bindings for OTHER-COMMAND
          rather than COMMAND.  If NO-REMAP is non-`nil', return the
          bindings for COMMAND, ignoring the fact that it is remapped.

I'm confused about the COMMAND and the OTHER-COMMAND.  What's the differences of them?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* About NO-REMAP in `where-is-internal'
@ 2013-02-11  4:38 Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2013-02-11  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In (info "(elisp) Scanning Keymaps"):
>  -- Function: where-is-internal command &optional keymap firstonly
>           noindirect no-remap
> [...]
>      The fifth argument, NO-REMAP[...]

>     If a command OTHER-COMMAND is remapped to COMMAND: [...]

>     If COMMAND is remapped to OTHER-COMMAND: [...]

> I'm confused about the COMMAND and the OTHER-COMMAND.  What's the
> differences of them?

Assume there is some binding

(define-key keymap [remap OTHER-COMMAND] 'COMMAND) .

The text describes the different behaviour, in case of

(where-is-internal 'OTHER-COMMAND keymap nil nil no-remap) or
(where-is-internal 'COMMAND keymap nil nil no-remap) .

-AP