all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About the `#^^' syntax
@ 2013-02-07 13:30 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-07 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I eval the (current-global-map) form:

(keymap #^[nil nil keymap
#^^[3 0 set-mark-command move-beginning-of-line backward-char mode-specific-command-prefix delete-char move-end-of-line forward-char keyboard-quit help-command indent-for-tab-command ...] #^^[1 0 #^^[2 0
#^^[3 0 set-mark-command move-beginning-of-line backward-char mode-specific-command-prefix delete-char move-end-of-line forward-char keyboard-quit help-command indent-for-tab-command ...] self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command ...] self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command ...] self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command self-insert-command ...] (C-mouse-5 . mwheel-scroll) (S-mouse-5 . mwheel-scroll) (mouse-5 . mwheel-scroll) (C-mouse-4 . mw
 heel-scroll) (S-mouse-4 . mwheel-scroll) (mouse-4 . mwheel-scroll) (paste . clipboard-yank) (copy . clipboard-kill-ring-save) (cut . clipboard-kill-region) (f18 . clipboard-yank) ...)

There is a `#^^' syntax.  I don't know what it means.  I only know that the printed representation of a char-table is like a vector except that there is an extra `#^' at the beginning.  I have searched the Emacs manuals, but I don't find anything useful.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* RE: About the `#^^' syntax
@ 2013-02-07 14:31 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-02-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

`#^' is used in the printed representation of a char table. (See the elisp info for "char-table type".)

I can't find `#^^', but it looks like it's for nested char tables from your example.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad and that's my religion. - Abraham Lincoln

       [not found] <mailman.19227.1360243847.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-08 16:24 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-02-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

> When I eval the (current-global-map) form:
> [...]
> There is a `#^^' syntax.  I don't know what it means.

This is a very good question, I don't know, the manual doesn't mention
this printed representation, but it IMO should.  Please also M-x
report-emacs-bug.

BTW, I think it is very valuable for Emacs if people like you reading
the manual tell which errors and inconsistencies they find.  Most people
unfortunately don't dare to do so.

Thanks,

Michael.

* RE: About the `#^^' syntax
@ 2013-02-08 16:26   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-02-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Heerdegen', help-gnu-emacs

> This is a very good question, I don't know, the manual doesn't mention
> this printed representation, but it IMO should.  Please also M-x
> report-emacs-bug.
>
> BTW, I think it is very valuable for Emacs if people like you
> reading the manual tell which errors and inconsistencies they find.
> Most people unfortunately don't dare to do so.

+1

The best help for improving writing is reading (and rereading).
Feedback from readers, from all backgrounds, is invaluable.

* Re: About the `#^^' syntax
@ 2013-02-09  0:20 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-09  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have filed a bug report (#13658).

--

@ 2013-02-09 15:29   ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2013-02-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I eval the (current-global-map) form:
>> [...]
>> There is a `#^^' syntax.  I don't know what it means.
>
> This is a very good question, I don't know, the manual doesn't mention
> this printed representation, but it IMO should.  Please also M-x
> report-emacs-bug.
>
> BTW, I think it is very valuable for Emacs if people like you reading
> the manual tell which errors and inconsistencies they find.  Most people
> unfortunately don't dare to do so.

I wrote some notes [1] while I was reading the reader code in Emacs.
It may interests you.

1: http://definitelyaplug.b0.cx/post/emacs-reader/