all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs : 23 : manual : info : where to get it?
@ 2013-02-05  9:01 Mayuresh Kathe
From: Mayuresh Kathe @ 2013-02-05  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm learning to use Emacs under Debian 6.0 AMD64.
When Emacs is started up, I do get access to the "Tutorial" from within Emacs, but somehow, I'm unable to get access to the "Manual" for the same.
I've searched for the Emacs 23 Manual in info format on the GNU FTP server, failed to find it.

Would you be in a position to help me locate it?

Thanks and Regards.

~Mayuresh

* Re: emacs : 23 : manual : info : where to get it?
@ 2013-02-05 17:09 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-02-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mayuresh Kathe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm learning to use Emacs under Debian 6.0 AMD64.
> When Emacs is started up, I do get access to the "Tutorial" from
> within Emacs, but somehow, I'm unable to get access to the "Manual"
> for the same.
> I've searched for the Emacs 23 Manual in info format on the GNU FTP
> server, failed to find it.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/emacs23-common-non-dfsg

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep non-free
deb ftp://mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in/debian/ squeeze main non-free
deb-src ftp://mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in/debian/ squeeze main non-free

Install the following package:
        emacs23-common-non-dfsg

@ 2013-02-05 20:12 ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2013-02-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mayuresh Kathe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm learning to use Emacs under Debian 6.0 AMD64.
> When Emacs is started up, I do get access to the "Tutorial" from within Emacs, but somehow, I'm unable to get access to the "Manual" for the same.
> I've searched for the Emacs 23 Manual in info format on the GNU FTP server, failed to find it.
>
> Would you be in a position to help me locate it?

Did you try a google emacs.pdf?
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.pdf
current version is emacs 24 by the way.

james

* Re: emacs : 23 : manual : info : where to get it?
@ 2013-02-06  4:20   ` Mayuresh Kathe
From: Mayuresh Kathe @ 2013-02-06  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Freer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:12:16PM +0000, James Freer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm learning to use Emacs under Debian 6.0 AMD64.
> > When Emacs is started up, I do get access to the "Tutorial" from within Emacs, but somehow, I'm unable to get access to the "Manual" for the same.
> > I've searched for the Emacs 23 Manual in info format on the GNU FTP server, failed to find it.
> >
> > Would you be in a position to help me locate it?
>
> Did you try a google emacs.pdf?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.pdf
> current version is emacs 24 by the way.

I wasn't looking for the PDF, I wanted the info file which could be invoked through the Emacs help system itself. :)

Anyways, the problem got resolved, I just had to install an extra package under Debian 6.0.

Thanks.

~Mayuresh