all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About :link
@ 2012-12-30 14:49 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2012-12-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(elisp) Common Keywords"), the documentation of keyword :link says:

`:link LINK-DATA'
     Include an external link after the documentation string for this
     item.  This is a sentence containing an active field which
     references some other documentation.

What does the `active field' mean?  I've gone through the manual, but I don't find what it means.
--
Best regards.

* RE: About :link
@ 2012-12-30 15:59 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-12-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xue Fuqiao', help-gnu-emacs

> `:link LINK-DATA'
>      Include an external link after the documentation string for this
>      item.  This is a sentence containing an active field which
>      references some other documentation.
>
> What does the `active field' mean?  I've gone through the
> manual, but I don't find what it means.

It means that you can click on the text as a link, and the link will be followed
(outside of Emacs - it's an external link).

But unless you find "active field" explained somewhere, that's a doc bug, IMHO.
`M-x report-emacs-bug'.

* Re: About :link
@ 2012-12-30 22:55   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2012-12-30 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 07:59:28 -0800
"Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> It means that you can click on the text as a link, and the link will be followed
> (outside of Emacs - it's an external link).
>
> But unless you find "active field" explained somewhere, that's a doc bug, IMHO.
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

Thanks, I've submitted a bug report.
--
Best regards.