all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault when trying to enter gdb mode in emacs, what's wrong?
@ 2012-08-12 10:19 thinkee365
From: thinkee365 @ 2012-08-12 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What does the following segmentation fault mean?

Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault
What is a segmentation fault, and what can cause it to happen?

The issue arrises once I type, Mx gdb into Emacs,

the scenerio is descirbed as the following picture shows:
a) input command to enter gdb mode
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/bigmeowOoO/before-enter-gdb-mode.jpg

b) press Enter to enter gdb mode, then error appears
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/bigmeowOoO/after-i-press-enter.jpg

more details:

[a]: i build emacs 24.1 on centos 5.3 from source, this build cannot enter gdb mode

[b]: also i build emacs 24.1 on debian 5.0, it can use gdb mode without error

so i really don't know what happened that i cannot use gdb mode in emacs 24.1 on centos 5.3:(

* Re: Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault when trying to enter gdb mode in emacs, what's wrong?
@ 2012-08-12 19:07 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thinkee365; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Does this help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault

--
Greetings

  Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with simple mnemonic commands.

* Re: Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault when trying to enter gdb mode in emacs, what's wrong?
@ 2012-08-13  8:05 ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-08-13  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thinkee365; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

To get more information run emacs under gdb:

- cd src
- gdb emacs
- r (shorthand for run)
- reproduce the bug M-x gdb
- you should enter the debugger when you segfault
- bt full (copy the output, I use screen to do that)
- M-x report-emacs-bug

I forgot to tell you on #emacs, I don't think you should compile emacs
with nox.

HTH
--
Ivan Kanis, Release Manager, Vision Objects,
Tel +33 2 28 01 84 44,  Fax +33 2 40 25 89 20

Ever let the fancy roam,
Pleasure never is at home.
    -- John Keats