all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs not loading package via load-path
@ 2012-08-08 20:04 Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I would like to use ESS (emacs speaks statistics).
Therefore I put the ess-site.el in a directory that I added to the load-path variable in my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/")
(require ’ess-site)

This doesn't work. I get an error on startup (Symbol's value as variable is void: ’ess-site)
and I can't open an R session which tells me that the crucial .el file was not loaded.

When I load the ess-site.el manually or add this to .emacs:
(load "~/documents/sonstiges/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
it all works fine.

I don't have any other load-path things in my .emacs file.

So what am I doing wrong?

(I am using emacs 24.1 on mac OS X)

thanks for any help!

[parent not found: <mailman.6594.1344456250.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]