all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-25  9:37 Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-07-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).

I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?

I wonder if there is a Code Museum, of sorts, where you can find those
historically significant "releases". The first EMACS, the first Linux
(which *can* be found rather easily), the first GCC, et al.

Ciao.

--
- mgs.

if all you young men / were fish in the water
how many young girls / would undress and dive after

* Re: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-25  9:43 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-07-25  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Skilbeck; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.07.2012 um 11:37 schrieb Mark Skilbeck:

> Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).

"Emacsen" describes a set of more than one programme Emacs.

--
Greetings

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-25  9:44 ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-07-25  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:37:55AM +0100, Mark Skilbeck wrote:
> Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
>
> I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
> Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
> view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
> any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?
>
> I wonder if there is a Code Museum, of sorts, where you can find those
> historically significant "releases". The first EMACS, the first Linux
> (which *can* be found rather easily), the first GCC, et al.
>
> Ciao.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

oopsiedaisy

--

@ 2012-07-25  9:52   ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-07-25  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:43:30AM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.07.2012 um 11:37 schrieb Mark Skilbeck:
>
> > Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
>
> "Emacsen" describes a set of more than one programme Emacs.

Indeed. I wasn't sure if the same applied to Emacs users. The Stallman
suggests "Emacsite"[0].

[0] http://www.stallman.org/extra/church.html

--

       [not found] <mailman.5547.1343209085.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-25 10:36 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-07-25 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.5547.1343209085.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us> wrote:

> Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
>
> I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
> Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
> view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
> any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?

I googled for "teco emacs" and found this:

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_emacs_170_teco_1220/index.html

Good luck understanding TECO.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-25 11:44   ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-07-25 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Margolin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 06:36:58AM -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <mailman.5547.1343209085.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us> wrote:
>
> > Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
> >
> > I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
> > Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
> > view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
> > any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?
>
> I googled for "teco emacs" and found this:
>
> http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_emacs_170_teco_1220/index.html
>
> Good luck understanding TECO.

I can quite comfortably say I do *not* envy Stallman's having to write
that.

--

@ 2012-07-25 13:14     ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-07-25 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Skilbeck, Barry Margolin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Barry,

I agree entirely. I think I'd rather write assembler.

On the other hand, I'd bet that writing it once in a language such as TECO really helped Stalling consolidate his ideas.

,Doug

@ 2012-07-25 13:27   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2012-07-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/25/2012 6:36 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <mailman.5547.1343209085.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>   Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us> wrote:
>
>> Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
>>
>> I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
>> Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
>> view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
>> any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?
>
> I googled for "teco emacs" and found this:
>
> http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_emacs_170_teco_1220/index.html
>
> Good luck understanding TECO.

I must still have some TECO reference cards around somewhere. I remember
writing whole applications as TECO macros. Fun.

-pd

--
----
The Tech Curmudgeon

* RE: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-25 16:53     ` Ludwig, Mark
> On 7/25/2012 6:36 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <mailman.5547.1343209085.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> >   Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, fellow Emacsen (Emacsians?).
> >>
> >> I've been reading RMS's essay, EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable
> >> Display Editor[0], and it's piqued an interest in me; I would like to
> >> view the code that made up the first EMACS release in 1976. Have it
> >> any of you lads and lasses, or know where it I may find?
> >
> > I googled for "teco emacs" and found this:
> >
> > http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_emacs_170_teco_1220/index.html
> >
> > Good luck understanding TECO.
> >

> I must still have some TECO reference cards around somewhere. I remember
> writing whole applications as TECO macros. Fun.

Yeah, I started hacking EMACS on a DECsystem-2060 (a.k.a. "Twenex") circa 1980.  I did all my EMACS customization work in Lisp, in the equivalent of would now be a .el file, and byte-compiled it to a library file that I subsequently loaded -- just like what we do today.

What I remember having to learn were the TECO display codes.  For example, if I recall correctly (ahem, yes, it really was >30 years ago!), Control-P was the character to "home up" in the minibuffer (which was three lines tall back then), meaning move the cursor to the upper-left-most character position.  Then there was another character to delete the remainder of the space which I don't remember; those two characters appeared frequently in the out-of-the-box EMACS code, because any prompting function had to do that in order for its prompt to appear cleanly and consistently.

Oh, and at the time, I liked to "sign" my e-mail messages with "$$" at the end.  What will not be clear by just looking at a printed representation of TECO is that the dollar sign ("$") is how an ESCape character appears; ESCape-ESCape was the statement terminator, and interactively meant "execute the preceding code."$$

* Re: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-26 14:57 ` François Allisson
From: François Allisson @ 2012-07-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Skilbeck; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I wonder if there is a Code Museum, of sorts, where you can find those
> historically significant "releases". The first EMACS, the first Linux
> (which *can* be found rather easily), the first GCC, et al.

Evsiz maintains a small uemacs museum [1]. See the README file for an
attempt at explaining its historical significance.

[1] http://rho.tuxfamily.org/museum/

* Re: EMACS, 1976
@ 2012-07-26 15:13   ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-07-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Allisson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 04:57:31PM +0200, François Allisson wrote:

> > I wonder if there is a Code Museum, of sorts, where you can find those
> > historically significant "releases". The first EMACS, the first Linux
> > (which *can* be found rather easily), the first GCC, et al.
>
> Evsiz maintains a small uemacs museum [1]. See the README file for an
> attempt at explaining its historical significance.
>
> [1] http://rho.tuxfamily.org/museum/

Interesting. Thanks!

--

@ 2012-07-26 20:26     ` Christophe Poncy
From: Christophe Poncy @ 2012-07-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-07-26 17:13, Mark Skilbeck wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 04:57:31PM +0200, François Allisson wrote:
>> >
>> > I wonder if there is a Code Museum, of sorts, where you can find
>> those
>> > historically significant "releases". The first EMACS, the first
>> Linux
>> > (which *can* be found rather easily), the first GCC, et al.
>>
>> Evsiz maintains a small uemacs museum [1]. See the README file for
>> an
>> attempt at explaining its historical significance.
>>
>> [1] http://rho.tuxfamily.org/museum/
>
> Interesting. Thanks!

Hi François,

There is an article on the French wikipedia that probably needs
improvements ans corrections :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_impl%C3%A9mentations_d%27Emacs

See also the the template :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod%C3%A8le:Palette_Emacs