all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 15:32 Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2012-03-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11076

Hi,

My news provider hasn't had any updates to gnu.emacs.bug in a while,
and I see there are none at google groups either.

Is the gateway temporarily broken?  The page
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-gnu-emacs
still claims "This list is connected to the gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup, ..."

Thanks.
				Jim

Am I the only person in the world who reads the bugs through a news reader??

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 16:19 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-03-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond@acadiau.ca> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> Am I the only person in the world who reads the bugs through a news reader??

No. I do it via news.gmane.org, which works pretty robust.

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 16:35 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

Jim Diamond wrote:

> My news provider hasn't had any updates to gnu.emacs.bug in a while,
> and I see there are none at google groups either.
>
> Is the gateway temporarily broken?

For some value of "temporarily".
It is a general problem with the GNU mail:news gateway.
Nobody here at Emacs can do anything about it.
I know it has been reported to the sysadmins at least three times over
the past few months, but I haven't seen a reply. It actually has gotten
worse, in that in used to just be broken in the direction news->mail.
Now it seems to be broken in both directions.
It's far from the first time this has happened. It seems to be difficult
to make these gateways work.

For bug-gnu-emacs, I suggest you just forget that gnu.emacs.bug exists.
Reporting bugs via news is discouraged anyway. You can read it via gmane
if you want, as has been said.

For other lists, eg help-gnu-emacs, it is a PITA, since we effectively
have two separate versions of them.

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 16:41   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-23 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

In a spirit of reckless adventure, I reported it a fourth time.
The fact that it broke totally on Feb 26th suggests it might be related
to the recent FSF colo move, so maybe it will be an easy fix.
But don't hold your breath.

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 16:47     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-23 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

PS Six months ago (which shows you how long this has been going on), I
suggested deprecating the newsgroups altogether,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-10/msg00313.html, but
the idea was not well received.

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 18:35     ` Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2012-03-23 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 11076

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:41 (-0400), Glenn Morris wrote:

> In a spirit of reckless adventure, I reported it a fourth time.
> The fact that it broke totally on Feb 26th suggests it might be related
> to the recent FSF colo move, so maybe it will be an easy fix.
> But don't hold your breath.

Thanks for doing so, as well as your other comments in this thread.

Cheers.
				Jim

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 21:44   ` Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2012-03-23 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: 11076

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 17:19 (+0100), Michael Albinus wrote:

> Jim Diamond writes:

>> Am I the only person in the world who reads the bugs through a news reader??

> No. I do it via news.gmane.org, which works pretty robust.

Thanks for the pointer.  I've been trying that web site for hours (on
and off) and unless they are being hit with a DOS attack today, I find
them unusably slow (firefox is timing out repeatedly).

And still, part of the issue is that (like a few other radicals,) I
much prefer reading mailing lists / newsgroups with a news reader.
Perhaps you are telling me that news.gmane.org support NNTP, but since
I can't get to them, I can't try to find out for sure.

Cheers.
				Jim

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-23 21:55     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-03-23 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond@acadiau.ca> writes:

>> No. I do it via news.gmane.org, which works pretty robust.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I've been trying that web site for hours (on
> and off) and unless they are being hit with a DOS attack today, I find
> them unusably slow (firefox is timing out repeatedly).

It isn't a web site. This is

> And still, part of the issue is that (like a few other radicals,) I
> much prefer reading mailing lists / newsgroups with a news reader.
> Perhaps you are telling me that news.gmane.org support NNTP, but since
> I can't get to them, I can't try to find out for sure.

It is the NNTP server. My gnus settings contain

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
				      (nntp "news" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org"))))

> Cheers.
> 				Jim

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-24 11:45       ` Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2012-03-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: 11076

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 22:55 (+0100), Michael Albinus wrote:

> Jim Diamond writes:

>>> No. I do it via news.gmane.org, which works pretty robust.

>> Thanks for the pointer.  I've been trying that web site for hours (on
>> and off) and unless they are being hit with a DOS attack today, I find
>> them unusably slow (firefox is timing out repeatedly).

> It isn't a web site. This is
In fact, they do have some web pages explaining themselves, and those
were repeatedly timing out yesterday.  They seem to be healthier this
morning.

>> And still, part of the issue is that (like a few other radicals,) I
>> much prefer reading mailing lists / newsgroups with a news reader.
>> Perhaps you are telling me that news.gmane.org support NNTP, but since
>> I can't get to them, I can't try to find out for sure.

> It is the NNTP server. My gnus settings contain

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
> 				      (nntp "news" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org"))))
Hmmm... I'm not a gnus fan, but thanks for the code.  Off the top of
my head, I don't think I can convince my news reader to use two
different NNTP hosts at "the same time", but it's worth taking a list.

Cheers.

				Jim

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-25  1:49       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-03-25  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Diamond; +Cc: 11076

I wrote to the sysadmins about this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-25 15:45         ` Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2012-03-25 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: 11076

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 21:49 (-0400), Richard Stallman wrote:

> I wrote to the sysadmins about this.

Thanks Richard.  I wouldn't have thought such a gateway would have
been so difficult (but that's easy to say since I've never tried to
write one).

Cheers.
				Jim

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-27  0:18         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-27  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11076-done

Seem to be working again (for now).

* bug#11076: bug-gnu-emacs gateway to gnu.emacs.bug broken?
@ 2012-03-27 17:34           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11076

Glenn Morris wrote:

> Seem to be working again (for now).

Though still only in the direction mail->news.
The reverse direction is still being worked on, says sysadmin.