I tried my Oct 6th 2011 test case with Emacs 24.0.91. 24.0.91 is definitely much better. Emacs no longer hangs when I type "quit" at the (gdb) prompt; instead Emacs offers the following in the minibuffer: Buffer "*input/output of foo*" has a running process; kill it? (yes or no) That seems much nicer than the behavior under 24.0.90. I also tried the `exit 0' case I provided earlier (using a C-source file called foo.c): - M-x gdb RET - press RET at the minibuffer's "Run gdb" message - type "set args x RET" at the (gdb) prompt - type "run RET" at (gdb) prompt Performing these steps causes (the compiled) foo.c to run and exit(0). Aferwards, I see "Debugger:run [exited-normally]" in the mode line. The text `exited-normally' is colored red -- should it be green for normal termination of the debugged program? Red vs. green is really a minor thing. I believe this issue can be closed. Steve