all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Send command to emacs from external process
@ 2011-10-29  3:40 Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2011-10-29  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Frequently I'll have Emacs running on a machine,
with an unsaved buffer, and would like to save the
buffer but no longer have access to the terminal
(i.e. it's in a different room and I'm too lazy to
walk over there).  I can login in to the machine
remotely.  Is there a way to tell Emacs to save
the buffer?

--
Joe Riel

* Re: Send command to emacs from external process
@ 2011-10-29  4:18 ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-10-29  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Riel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

One thing I can think of is to use Screen, and then after you ssh in, you
just attach to the screen, and everything is there.. the entire environment

@ 2011-10-29  6:47   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1339.1319898302.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> One thing I can think of is to use Screen, and then after you ssh in,
> you just attach to the screen, and everything is there.. the entire
> environment

Or simply run emacs as a server. (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Send command to emacs from external process
@ 2011-10-29 14:24     ` Joe Riel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1339.1319898302.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Riel @ 2011-10-29 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:47:14 +0200
Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > One thing I can think of is to use Screen, and then after you ssh in,
> > you just attach to the screen, and everything is there.. the entire
> > environment
>
> Or simply run emacs as a server. (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")

Thanks, that's exactly what I want.

--

@ 2011-10-29 17:02       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-10-29 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > One thing I can think of is to use Screen, and then after you ssh in,
>> > you just attach to the screen, and everything is there.. the entire
>> > environment
>> Or simply run emacs as a server. (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")
> Thanks, that's exactly what I want.

And when it's tool ate to start the server, you can kill the Emacs
process (with a soft signal, not like SIGKILL, of course), and Emacs
will autosave the buffers so they're ready for recovery.