all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-u C-h i no longer loads a named info file.  What's going on?
@ 2011-10-23 18:48 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2011-10-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Everybody.

Whilst doing some testing, I tried

    C-u C-h i <reg> .../path/to/cc-mode.info

.  I got as an error message,

    Can't find cc-mode.info-1 or any compressed version of it

.  Well, cc-mode.info-1 wasn't actually the file I asked for.  I'm not
happy about this.  What is going on?  How do I load cc-mode.info into an
info buffer?

Have I missed some previous discussion on this list?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: C-u C-h i no longer loads a named info file.  What's going on?
@ 2011-10-23 20:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-23 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:48:18 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> Hi, Everybody.
>
> Whilst doing some testing, I tried
>
>     C-u C-h i <reg> .../path/to/cc-mode.info
>
> .  I got as an error message,
>
>     Can't find cc-mode.info-1 or any compressed version of it
>
> .  Well, cc-mode.info-1 wasn't actually the file I asked for.  I'm not
> happy about this.  What is going on?  How do I load cc-mode.info into an
> info buffer?

The file's name is `ccmode', no extension and no hyphens.  My crystal
ball says that cc-mode.info-1 is a remnant of some old version of the
manual.

"C-u C-h i" works for me in the current bzr tip when I use the correct
file name.

* Re: C-u C-h i no longer loads a named info file.  What's going on?
@ 2011-10-24  5:23 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2011-10-24  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

>     C-u C-h i <reg> .../path/to/cc-mode.info
>
> .  I got as an error message,
>
>     Can't find cc-mode.info-1 or any compressed version of it

This means that the Info manual for CC Mode is split into several parts,
each with a file name like cc-mode.info-1 and cc-mode.info-2.
You can find all subfile names for related parts in the `Indirect' section
of the main file cc-mode.info.

* Re: C-u C-h i no longer loads a named info file.  What's going on?
@ 2011-10-24 16:59   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2011-10-24 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 08:23:48AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
> >     C-u C-h i <reg> .../path/to/cc-mode.info
> >
> > .  I got as an error message,
> >
> >     Can't find cc-mode.info-1 or any compressed version of it

> This means that the Info manual for CC Mode is split into several parts,
> each with a file name like cc-mode.info-1 and cc-mode.info-2.
> You can find all subfile names for related parts in the `Indirect' section
> of the main file cc-mode.info.

Ah, got it at last!  The error happened after loading cc-mode.info, not
(as I thought) while it was trying to load the main file.

Sorry to bother everybody.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).