all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-06  3:35 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2011-09-06  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
     I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info
node when I use C-h i. The information may be missing in the package or I
did something wrong when I installed the package.
How does a library usually insert its info node into emacs such that users
can browse it by C-h i m? How can I identify the problem and fix it? Thanks.

Shiyuan

* Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-06  6:37 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-09-06  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Shiyuan,

>      I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info
> node when I use C-h i. The information may be missing in the package or I
> did something wrong when I installed the package.
> How does a library usually insert its info node into emacs such that users
> can browse it by C-h i m? How can I identify the problem and fix it? Thanks.

You have to add the directory containing the info file (or to be more
precise, the dir [directory index] file) to `Info-directory-list'.
That's what I do for AUCTeX from CVS:

(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/repos/el/auctex/doc")

For generating the info docs, you have to run

  $ make docs

in the auctex checkout (probably, "make all" also creates the docs).  In
addition, you have to create a directory index in doc/ that lists the 2
manuals (auctex itself plus the preview-latex docs).  This can be done
easily like so:

  $ pwd
  /path/to/auctex
  $ cd docs
  $ install-info auctex.info dir
  $ install-info preview-latex.info dir

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-06  8:16 ` suvayu ali
       [not found]   ` <CAOm4EMv192nPZ4Twuq+YVW7=GzGPAmUWSxK3YcRNbcycz-GXdA@mail.gmail.com>
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-06  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info node
> when I use C-h i.

I don't think auctex-devel has info files (it should have only the
lisp files). Regular auctex or auctex-doc should have them. Which
distro are you on? Maybe you can search for
/usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz using your package manager to determine
the package?

GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-06 12:32   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <CAOm4EMv192nPZ4Twuq+YVW7=GzGPAmUWSxK3YcRNbcycz-GXdA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-09-06 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

>> I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info
>> node when I use C-h i.
>
> I don't think auctex-devel has info files (it should have only the
> lisp files).  Regular auctex or auctex-doc should have them. Which
> distro are you on? Maybe you can search for
> /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz using your package manager to determine
> the package?

Ah, sorry.  I've thought with auctex-devel you mean the development
version ouf AUCTeX checked out from the development CVS repository.
That's where my suggestions apply.

If you use some snapshot packages provided by your distro, then I would
assume that the info files are installed correctly and you don't have to
do anything.

So if your package manager installed

  /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz

for you, then I would assume that it added an appropriate entry in

  /usr/share/info/dir

too.  Just open that file and check if if contains a line like this:

  * AUCTeX: (auctex).             A sophisticated TeX environment for Emacs.

If not, then you can add such an entry using

  $ sudo install-info /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz \
                      /usr/share/info/dir

but IMO, that should have be done by the package manager.

If there is such an entry but the auctex docs are not shown in the index
you get with `C-h i' in emacs, then probably /usr/share/info is not in
your `Info-directory-list'.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2011-09-09 21:34     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-09-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:21:15 -0500
Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I do see autex.info, autex.info-1,
> auctex.info-2 under
> opt/share/info. So I should see the info node? But I don't see it.
> What would go wrong?

Depends on how you installed auctex. I had thought you installed the
packages provided by your distribution (since you mentioned
auctex-devel). From what you describe above, I think you should follow
what Tassilo suggested in his response.

GL

PS: Please use reply all, then the list is CC'd and you have a greater
chance of getting a response.

--
Suvayu

* Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-14  0:17 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2011-09-14  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
    It seems that simply adding info files to the INFOPATH directories is
not enough for the info node to show up by C-h i m auctex and we need to
modify some file to let emacs know there is a new info file. I confirm this
by cheating emacs by renaming the auctex.info-1 to the name of an existing
info file which can be display correctly by C-h i(for example, ada-mode).
If I do that, I can see the info of auctex under the original node's name
(eg. Ada-mode). So when a package is installed, which file does it modify to
let emacs know a new info filed needed to be added? Thanks.

@ 2011-09-14  0:32 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-09-14  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Shiyuan,

Sorry I forgot to respond to your last post.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:17:04 -0500
Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>     It seems that simply adding info files to the INFOPATH
> directories is not enough for the info node to show up by C-h i m
> auctex and we need to modify some file to let emacs know there is a
> new info file. I confirm this by cheating emacs by renaming the
> auctex.info-1 to the name of an existing info file which can be
> display correctly by C-h i(for example, ada-mode). If I do that, I
> can see the info of auctex under the original node's name (eg.
> Ada-mode). So when a package is installed, which file does it modify
> to let emacs know a new info filed needed to be added? Thanks.

When an info file is installed, an entry is added to the dir file in
$INFODIR (in your case it is /opt/share/info) and the info file itself
is placed in the same directory (usually after gzipping).

How do you install the info file, do you run install-info? Usually the
Makefile should have a rule like install-info. So you could install the
info files like this:

$ make install-info

If that doesn't work, you can try installing by hand like this:

$ install-info --infodir=/opt/share/info /path/to/auctex.info-1

But please backup before you try this as I have not tried this myself.

GL

--
Suvayu