all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot print with emacs
@ 2011-07-21 12:28 Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2011-07-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I can't find out why printing with emacs does not work for me.
CUPS is installed on my FreeBSD (actually 8.2-RELEASE) and is working
since ages. lpr-cups, xpdf, evince, gv are all printing fine on the
Lexmark T520 (Duplex Black&White Laser Printer) connected to the LAN.

The printing package is customized as follows:

;; To use the Printing package:
;;
(require 'printing)
(pr-update-menus)
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(lpr-command "/usr/local/bin/lpr")
 '(pr-gs-switches (quote ("-q -dNOPAUSE -I/usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.02")))
 '(pr-print-using-ghostscript nil)
 '(pr-ps-printer-alist (quote ((default "/usr/local/bin/lpr" nil "-P" "lexpol"))))
 '(ps-lpr-command "/usr/local/bin/lpr")
 '(ps-paper-type (quote a4))
 '(ps-print-color-p nil))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

Whether pr-print-using-ghostscript is nil or t, makes no difference.

pr-gs-device is set to "uniprint" without my intervention.
Running "gs -h" shows that gs does not seem to know the
Lexmark T520 printer.

The printing operation generates always Postscript files which
block the printer with the "900 Service RIP Software" error.
Printing <the said Postscript file> under gv outside emacs
produces the same error - probably not surprising.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Harald Weis