all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ssh in emacs
@ 2011-06-17 18:30 pedz
       [not found] ` <mailman.2270.1338824720.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: pedz @ 2011-06-17 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I know about telnet and rlogin in emacs.  Is there a way to do ssh?

Also... I am not seeing new messages in my mail box.  I can see messages in this group on google's group interface that I have not received.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you,
pedz

* ssh in emacs
@ 2011-06-18 18:30 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-06-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Seems like I asked this (or someone asked this) within the past year but:

is there a mode like telnet and rlogin but uses ssh?

Thanks,
pedz

* Re: ssh in emacs
@ 2011-06-19  5:55 ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-06-19  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> is there a mode like telnet and rlogin but uses ssh?

do you mean as in what tramp offers?
tramp does ssh and a lot of other stuff too and is there by default in
emacs23 (don't recall installing it).

i found i was having some difficulties with ssh (on arch, but have kept
the same settings on debian), but have been using scp with no issues for
several months with the following in my dotemacs:

;;; tramp
(setq tramp-default-method "scp")
(setq tramp-chunksize 100)

here's the website:
http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: ssh in emacs
@ 2011-06-19 16:57 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2011-06-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith wrote:
> Seems like I asked this (or someone asked this) within the past year but:
>
> is there a mode like telnet and rlogin but uses ssh?

I use for this is ssh.el ssh-mode by Noah Friedman.  I think this is
exactly what you are asking about.  Check it out.

  http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/

  http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/ssh.el

The other way I use ssh inside of emacs is to open a terminal window
in emacs, or more precisely as described in the emacs manual in
section "41.8 Emacs Terminal Emulator" window.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Terminal-emulator.html#Terminal-emulator

Terminal mode is a little more complicated because it takes a little
bit of learning in order to drive terminal mode inside of emacs but it
does work out of the box without installing anything additional
installed.  Plus knowing terminal mode is useful for other things.  I
often use it for various unrelated things.  But here the concept is to
start terminal mode inside emacs and then just ssh normally in that
window to the remote host.  You can even run emacs inside emacs that
way.

Bob

* Re: ssh in emacs
@ 2012-06-04 15:45 ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
       [not found] ` <mailman.2270.1338824720.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2012-06-04 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode ?

--
RMA.

* Re: ssh in emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.2270.1338824720.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-06-04 16:51   ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2012-06-04 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> writes:

> On 06/17/2011 09:30 PM, pedz wrote:
>> I know about telnet and rlogin in emacs.  Is there a way to do ssh?
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode ?

I'm pretty sure I've used emacs' telnet support to run ssh, just
changing "telnet-command" or some similar variable. Not something I've
done recently, though...

and running it in term mode should certainly work