all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8373: why not give user an extra variable when compile emacs under windows?
@ 2011-03-29 14:45 Xu Jingtao
From: Xu Jingtao @ 2011-03-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 8373

hi emacs:

When compile emacs under windows, i want to specify some gcc flags like this:
call configure.bat --cflags -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000
But under windows os,the "=" is treated as white space when passed to batch arguments.
So I have to modify this gcc definition in emacs's source tree which is not my pleasure.
Why not give user an extra variable when compile emacs under windows?
For example, named as "LOCAL_FLAGS_WIN",
so i could set this before call configure.bat like this
set LOCAL_FLAGS_WIN=-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000
call configure.bat
and nt/makefile in emacs source tree is modified to support this variable.
CFLAGS          = -I. $(ARCH_CFLAGS) $(DEBUG_CFLAGS) $(CHECKING_CFLAGS) $(PROFILE_CFLAGS) $(USER_CFLAGS) $(LOCAL_FLAGS) $(LOCAL_FLAGS_WIN)

best regards.
jingtao

* bug#8373: why not give user an extra variable when compile emacs under windows?
@ 2011-03-29 18:05 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-03-29 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Jingtao; +Cc: 8373

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:45, Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> wrote:

> But under windows os,the "=" is treated as white space when passed to batch arguments.
> So I have to modify this gcc definition in emacs's source tree which is not my pleasure.
> Why not give user an extra variable when compile emacs under windows?

I think the proper fix would be finding a way to pass arguments
containing "=" to configure.bat. That might prove difficult, though,
at least with command.com.

    Juanma

* bug#8373: why not give user an extra variable when compile emacs under windows?
@ 2011-03-30  2:09   ` Xu Jingtao
From: Xu Jingtao @ 2011-03-30  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lekktu; +Cc: 8373

parse "=" in dos batch script is very difficult,
because dos batch has poor native string process commands as i could see.
I think the easy fix would be writing an extra console commands parsing command line
or give user an extra variable to set the cflags as i have mentioned.

Best regards.
Jingtao

@ 2011-04-24  0:20 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-04-24  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Jingtao; +Cc: 8373

Xu Jingtao <jingtaozf@gmail.com> writes:

> When compile emacs under windows, i want to specify some gcc flags like this:
> call configure.bat --cflags -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000
>
> But under windows os,the "=" is treated as white space when passed to
> batch arguments.  So I have to modify this gcc definition in emacs's
> source tree which is not my pleasure.  Why not give user an extra
> variable when compile emacs under windows?

With Ben Key's 2011-04-15 to trunk, the "=" character is supported in
configure.bat, so this should now be unnecessary, I believe.