all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RegExp  question
@ 2004-09-23 16:41 Ryan Bowman
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2004-09-23 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a regexp "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?" this should
match
repeat
repeat-x
repeat-y
, which it does, however it also matches
background-repeat:
which I don't want it to.
So I changed it to this "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?[^:]"
so it won't match background-repeat: but then it no
longer matches repeat,
I assume because [^:] actually means to match
something, but not a ':'
so how do I specifiy that I don't care if anything
follows the patter or not,
so long as it is NOT ':'?

=====
---
Ryan

The door at the end of the tunnel is far too small...
 - Closing In 2.0 - Don't Be Afraid - Information Society - insoc.org
---

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: RegExp  question
@ 2004-09-23 18:05 ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2004-09-23 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan,

Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, this may or
may not do the trick for you.  For example, if the word "repeat" is
followed by a space character, the space character _will_ be part of
the match.  But if the word you are searching for is always at the
end of a line, this should do what you want.

(re-search-forward "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?\\([^:\n]+\\|$\\)")

If your requirements are more complicated, it may be necessary to
write your own function that does more than just a single call to
re-search-forward.

--Greg

At 9:41 AM -0700 9/23/04, Ryan Bowman wrote:
>I have a regexp "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?" this should
>match
>repeat
>repeat-x
>repeat-y
>, which it does, however it also matches
>background-repeat:
>which I don't want it to.
>So I changed it to this "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?[^:]"
>so it won't match background-repeat: but then it no
>longer matches repeat,
>I assume because [^:] actually means to match
>something, but not a ':'
>so how do I specifiy that I don't care if anything
>follows the patter or not,
>so long as it is NOT ':'?

* Re: RegExp  question
       [not found] <mailman.3776.1095958718.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-23 18:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-09-23 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So I changed it to this "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?[^:]"
> so how do I specifiy that I don't care if anything
> follows the patter or not,
> so long as it is NOT ':'?

"repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?\\([^:]\\|\\'\\)"

* RE: RegExp  question
@ 2004-09-23 20:23 JayBingham
From: JayBingham @ 2004-09-23 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 23, 2004 11:42 AM Ryan Bowman wrote:

> So I changed it to this "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?[^:]"
> so it won't match background-repeat: but then it no
> longer matches repeat,
> I assume because [^:] actually means to match
> something, but not a ':'
> so how do I specifiy that I don't care if anything
> follows the patter or not,
> so long as it is NOT ':'?

I am curious which version of emacs you are running.  I have emacs
21.2 loaded on my Windows 2k system and the above regexp matches
every repeat in your message except those followed by a ":" and one
that I added at the end of the buffer which does not have anything
following it.  You are correct in your assumption that [^:] actually
means to match something.  Remember that a new line is something, as
opposed to nothing.  This means that when repeat occurs at the end of
a line the new line is included in the matched string and point will
follow it (be at the start of the next line) so it may appear that it
was not matched.

<Do not reply to the above address, reply only to the list>

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlett-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. “Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.”     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

* RE: RegExp  question
@ 2004-09-24 19:43 ` Ryan Bowman
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2004-09-24 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1869 bytes --]

--- JayBingham <binghamjc@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 23, 2004 11:42 AM Ryan Bowman
> wrote:
>
> > So I changed it to this "repeat\\(-[xy]?\\)?[^:]"
> > so it won't match background-repeat: but then it
> no
> > longer matches repeat,
> > I assume because [^:] actually means to match
> > something, but not a ':'
> > so how do I specifiy that I don't care if anything
> > follows the patter or not,
> > so long as it is NOT ':'?
>
> I am curious which version of emacs you are running.
>  I have emacs
> 21.2 loaded on my Windows 2k system and the above
> regexp matches
> every repeat in your message except those followed
> by a ":" and one
> that I added at the end of the buffer which does not
> have anything
> following it.  You are correct in your assumption
> that [^:] actually
> means to match something.  Remember that a new line
> is something, as
> opposed to nothing.  This means that when repeat
> occurs at the end of
> a line the new line is included in the matched
> string and point will
> follow it (be at the start of the next line) so it
> may appear that it
> was not matched.
>
> <Do not reply to the above address, reply only to
> the list>
>
> -_
> J_)
> C_)ingham
> .    Hewlett-Packard
> .    Austin, TX
> . “Language is the apparel in which your thoughts
> parade in public.
> .  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.”
>   -Dr. George W.
> Crane-

=====
---
Ryan

The door at the end of the tunnel is far too small...
 - Closing In 2.0 - Don't Be Afraid - Information Society - insoc.org
---

http://messenger.yahoo.com

* RE: RegExp  question
       [not found] <20040924194238.40080.qmail@web51606.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2004-09-28 18:21 ` JayBingham
From: JayBingham @ 2004-09-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

<DO NOT reply to the address this was sent from, reply only to the
list>

Quoting Ryan Bowman <rlb_emacs@yahoo.com>:

> Except I'm adding it to font-lock-keyword so it will
> change the font face on a match, repeat followed by a
> newline is not matched by the above expression, though
> it should be.  I'm running 21.3.50.1 on WinXP (from
> nqmacs.sourceforge.net).

Well that may explain why it works for me (using 21.2).  It seems
that
something changed between 21.2 and 21.3.  Maybe it is a bug.

A word of advice here, it is always proper to include the version and
environment that you are using when asking a question about something
that does not seem to be working the way you expect it to work.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlett-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. “Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.”     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

* regexp question
@ 2006-09-26 12:09 ` C.Strobl
       [not found] ` <mailman.7422.1159272599.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: C.Strobl @ 2006-09-26 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello all,

 i want to replace a block beginning with <column_right> and ending with
</column_right>, with a variable number of lines between with another
text block. is that possible with regular expressions and if yes, how?
i don't know how to find an optional number of complete lines.

how can i find this text block with a regular expression?

	<column_right>
		<!-- background attribute options: black, white, grey,
blue, red, green, orange -->
		<feature_block background="orange">
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_image
height="1">spacer_grey.gif</feature_image>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_image
type="intern">projects/gitews/logo_175.gif</feature_image>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_image
height="1">spacer_grey.gif</feature_image>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_text>Work Package 4100</feature_text>
			<feature_text>provided by XYZ</feature_text>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_image
height="5">spacer_grey.gif</feature_image>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_header>Contact:</feature_header>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
			<feature_text></feature_text>
		</feature_block>
	</column_right>

christian

* Re: regexp question
@ 2006-09-26 17:16   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-26 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, rutt.4

Am 26.09.2006 um 14:09 schrieb <C.Strobl@dlr.de>:

> how can i find this text block with a regular expression?

<column_right>[-_	 !",./0-9:<=>A-Za-z
]*</column_right>

- has to come first, _ is just close, then come SPACE and TAB, ...,
and finally a newline, C-q C-j.

To determine the characters in the region do this shell-command-on-
region:

	sed -e 's/\(.\)/\1·/g' | tr '·' '\012' | sort -u

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but
they've always worked for me."
                                           -- Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: regexp question
       [not found] ` <mailman.7422.1159272599.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-27  7:58   ` Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-09-27  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  i want to replace a block beginning with <column_right> and ending with
> </column_right>, with a variable number of lines between with another
> text block. ext block with a regular expression?

I would use:

<column_right>\(.\|^J\)*?</column_right>

Where the ^J results from pressing C-q C-j.

The details: Since the dot . does much any character but the newline, I
use the construct \(.\|^J\) which now matches really any character. *?
is the lazy version of the greedy *. Meaning that as few as possible
are selected. This prevents from selecting too much. Only * instead of
*? would much both of the following lines instead of only one.

<column_right>line1</column_right>
<column_right>line2</column_right>

However, my regex fails to match nested tags. In the following example
<column_right><column_right></column_right></column_right>

the match is
<column_right><column_right></column_right>

which is not what you want. I don't know how to make a regular
expression which would also support this case. I'm sure you would find
the answer in the book "Mastering regular expressions"

Flo

* Re: regexp question
@ 2006-09-29 22:03     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-09-29 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: C.Strobl, help-gnu-emacs, rutt.4

> Am 26.09.2006 um 14:09 schrieb <C.Strobl@dlr.de>:
>
>> how can i find this text block with a regular expression?
>
> <column_right>[-_	 !",./0-9:<=>A-Za-z
> ]*</column_right>
>
> - has to come first, _ is just close, then come SPACE and TAB, ...,
> and finally a newline, C-q C-j.
>
> To determine the characters in the region do this shell-command-on-
> region:
>
> 	sed -e 's/\(.\)/\1·/g' | tr '·' '\012' | sort -u
                          ^

I assume above construct is necessary for (older) UNIX systems?  I
tried:

  sed -e 's/\(.\)/\1\n/g | sort -u

which is working on my Gnu/Linux system.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: regexp question
@ 2006-09-30  8:53       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-30  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: C.Strobl, help-gnu-emacs, rutt.4

Am 30.09.2006 um 00:03 schrieb Dieter Wilhelm:

>   sed -e 's/\(.\)/\1\n/g | sort -u
>
> which is working on my Gnu/Linux system.

Your shell is faulty. A quoted sequence has to start and to end.

\n does not seem to work for me ...

Anyway, Florian Kaufmann's \(.\|^J\)*? is the optimal expression: it
does not need a contents analysis.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

* regexp question
@ 2011-01-06 16:14 Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2011-01-06 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I wrote the following defun:

(defun yyy-rmligs()
"Function to call `query-replace-regexp' and search
for words, ignoring LaTeX commands starting with a backslash,
which contain ligatures 'ff', 'fi', 'fl', 'ffi' and 'ffl' and
queries about replacing them with their LaTeX non-ligature
variant.  E.g. 'shelfful' could be replaced by 'shelf\"|ful',
while '\\flushright' is ignored."

  (interactive)
  (query-replace-regexp
   "\\([^\\\\]\\b\\w*\\)f\\(f\\|i\\|l\\|fi\\|fl\\)\\(\\w*\\b\\)"
   "\\1f\"|\\2\\3)"))

It works, unless there is more then one ligature in the word.

I can replace 'aaaflaaa' with 'aaaf"|laaa', but the defun fails to replace the
first occurrences of 'fl' in 'aaaflaaaflaaa'.

Help on the rexeps involved would be appreciated. Thx!

Toto

PS: Yes I know of the rmligs program; my need is for other languages than
    German.

    I know that for LaTeX documents I should (and will) use
    `reftex-query-replace-document' instead of `query-replace-regexp'.

    Do words in the English language exist which have more than one ligature?

--
"A Korean newspaper wrote that Aachen University is the MIT of Europe."
Burkhard Rauhut / "Anything that's the something of something isn't

* Re: regexp question
@ 2011-01-07 10:05 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2011-01-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Bonow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs