all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trouble typing extended characters with emacsclient
@ 2011-01-04  1:41 Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2011-01-04  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm hoping that one of you could help me with an emacsclient problem.

When I start emacs as "emacs -Q -nw", I can use the Compose key to
type extended characters.  For example the key sequence

   <Compose> " u

produces the character "ü".

I cannot get the same behavior with emacsclient. Specifically, if I
start emacs in daemon mode

   emacs -Q --daemon

and use "emacsclient myfile.txt", then typing the <Compose> sequence
above gives "C<" (two characters), rather than ü.

How does one type extended characters with emacsclient?

I've observed the same behavior with emacs 23.2 and 23.2.91.  I'm
using OpenSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Trouble typing extended characters with emacsclient
       [not found] <mailman.1.1294105313.28790.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-01-04  1:43 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-01-04  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steve Revilak <steve@srevilak.net> writes:

> I'm hoping that one of you could help me with an emacsclient problem.
>
> When I start emacs as "emacs -Q -nw", I can use the Compose key to
> type extended characters.  For example the key sequence
>
>   <Compose> " u
>
> produces the character "ü".
>
> I cannot get the same behavior with emacsclient. Specifically, if I
> start emacs in daemon mode
>
>   emacs -Q --daemon
>
> and use "emacsclient myfile.txt", then typing the <Compose> sequence
> above gives "C<" (two characters), rather than ü.
>
> How does one type extended characters with emacsclient?
>
> I've observed the same behavior with emacs 23.2 and 23.2.91.  I'm
> using OpenSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4.

What about iso-transl?

(require 'iso-transl)
C-x 8 " u  --> ü

Also, check the encoding codes on the left of the mode line.  Do they
indicate iso or utf-8, or do they indicate an ASCII display?

* Re: Trouble typing extended characters with emacsclient
@ 2011-01-04 12:16   ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2011-01-04 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm hoping that one of you could help me with an emacsclient problem.
>>
>> When I start emacs as "emacs -Q -nw", I can use the Compose key to
>> type extended characters.  For example the key sequence
>>
>>   <Compose> " u
>>
>> produces the character "?".
>>
>> I cannot get the same behavior with emacsclient. Specifically, if I
>> start emacs in daemon mode
>>
>>   emacs -Q --daemon
>>
>> and use "emacsclient myfile.txt", then typing the <Compose> sequence
>> above gives "C<" (two characters), rather than ?.

>Also, check the encoding codes on the left of the mode line.  Do they
>indicate iso or utf-8, or do they indicate an ASCII display?

Pascal,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Below is the mode line for the response
that I'm writing; it indicates ascii.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-=--:@**--F3  mutt-sunny-1000-6359-23   87% (422,0)    (Text Server Fill)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Mutt, my MUA, runs emacsclient as an editor.)

C-h v buffer-file-coding-system tells me

   | buffer-file-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
   | Its value is undecided-unix
   | Local in buffer mutt-sunny-1000-6359-19; global value is utf-8-unix

I've tried

   M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system RET utf-8-unix RET

This changes the beginning of the mode line to "-=-U:", but it does
not change the <Compose> key behavior that I described earlier.

>What about iso-transl?
>
>(require 'iso-transl)
>C-x 8 " u  --> ?

iso-transl addresses half of the problem.  C-x 8 " u inserts the
correct character.  Within emacsclient, the character appears as a "?"
(char 63) but the actual character is "ü" (char 252).

@ 2011-01-05  6:03 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-05  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When I start emacs as "emacs -Q -nw", I can use the Compose key to
> type extended characters.  For example the key sequence

>   <Compose> " u

> produces the character "ü".

> I cannot get the same behavior with emacsclient. Specifically, if I
> start emacs in daemon mode

>   emacs -Q --daemon

> and use "emacsclient myfile.txt", then typing the <Compose> sequence
> above gives "C<" (two characters), rather than ü.

> How does one type extended characters with emacsclient?

The same way as with "emacs -Q -nw".  At least in theory.  If not, it's
most likely a bug.  Try M-x report-emacs-bug.