all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* email with emacs
@ 2010-12-26  0:47 prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-26  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
i need imap.

so far i've looked at

nmh - got it to work locally, but don't know how to do imap

wl - got imap access (even got it to read gmail), but find things
confusing

mailutils - don't really know where to start in the documentation

any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

* Re: email with emacs
       [not found] <mailman.18.1293324449.24913.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-26  6:47 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-12-26  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
> i need imap.
>
> so far i've looked at
>
> nmh - got it to work locally, but don't know how to do imap
>
> wl - got imap access (even got it to read gmail), but find things
> confusing
>
> mailutils - don't really know where to start in the documentation
>
> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?

gnus

--
David Kastrup

* Re: email with emacs
@ 2010-12-26 13:25   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-26 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>
>> i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
>> i need imap.
>>
>> so far i've looked at
>>
>> nmh - got it to work locally, but don't know how to do imap
>>
>> wl - got imap access (even got it to read gmail), but find things
>> confusing
>>
>> mailutils - don't really know where to start in the documentation
>>
>> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?
>
> gnus

But be prepared to learn elisp and pull your hair out ;) Gnus is
great. But you almost need to know it before you can get it to
work. Kind of a vicious circle at times - especially when it comes to
spam filtering and splitting. But Gnus is uber-powerful and brilliant
and is worth sticking with.

Gnus has come along a lot recently with regard to imap handling. If you
are using Linux I would really recommend a local dovecot IMAP server and
feed that using an offlineimap configuration. Particularly handy when
you use multiple PCs. It's a great subset of knowledge you will pick up.
Possibly that can be done in Windows too but I don't know.

Some things to look up to wet your appetite:-

topic
gnus-posting-styles
splitting
Agent

And of course it being inside emacs all the other benefits of it being
hosted or part of Mother Emacs.

@ 2010-12-26 15:37 ` despen
From: despen @ 2010-12-26 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
> i need imap.
>
> so far i've looked at
>
> nmh - got it to work locally, but don't know how to do imap
>
> wl - got imap access (even got it to read gmail), but find things
> confusing
>
> mailutils - don't really know where to start in the documentation
>
> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?

What I do is use fetchmail to pull the mail from the server
to the local mail spool.

Then any Emacs mail client works.
I've used MH-E and GNUS.

Since I have years of mail history in MH folder format
I've only tried the 2 clients that do mh.

@ 2010-12-27  9:14 ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2010-12-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    prad> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to
    prad> look at?

I've  been using Gnus  since 1994,  and I  find no  reason to  switch to
another e-mail agent in the near future.  :)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: email with emacs
@ 2010-12-27  9:21 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293442292.18751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-27  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

Hi Prad,

> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?

Try Gnus [fn:1]

Footnotes:
[fn:1] http://www.gnus.org

* Re: email with emacs
@ 2010-12-27  9:31   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293442292.18751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-27  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?
>
> Try Gnus [fn:1]

Argh, sent off too early.

You might want to try the current git HEAD.  It has seen a major rewrite
of its IMAP backend, and since that time, it is very snappy.  Before, I
always used a local IMAP mirror to speed things up, but that's not
needed anymore.

Bye,
Tassilo

> Footnotes:
> [fn:1] http://www.gnus.org

* Re: email with emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1293442292.18751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-27  9:46     ` Massimo Gengarelli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4.1293546353.18545.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Massimo Gengarelli @ 2010-12-27  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
> You might want to try the current git HEAD.

I'm having some issues using IMAP with Gnus v5.19, sometimes it hangs
while connecting on my IMAP server (which is located on my same
subnet), is this resolved?
  Massi

* Re: email with emacs
@ 2010-12-27 20:20 ` prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-27 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 16:47:56 -0800
prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:

> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?

thx everyone! i have rarely seen such universality of opinion on a
package, so i decided to try gnus. actually, i had used it for
newsgroups a bit a couple of years ago.

it works smoothly so far and as tassilo said it works fine with a
direct connection to imap. i'm interested in following up on richard's
recommendation of a local imap with dovecot (we use that for our server
anyway), because i'm intrigued by the idea, but first i want to see all
the things gnu can do!

i really appreciate the help here - i was looking at everything other
than what i am now going to use thanks to your suggestions!

--

@ 2010-12-28  0:09 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2010-12-28  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prad; +Cc: emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> 쓰시길:

> i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
> i need imap.
> [...]

Gnus have many developers. That's very important to make something.

--
소여물 황병희(黃炳熙) | .. 출항 15분전..

"If I pick up this phone, you'll spend the night in jail."
		-- Jack Woltz, "Chapter 1", page 62

* Re: email with emacs
@ 2010-12-28 14:25       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4.1293546353.18545.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-28 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel@cs.unibo.it> writes:

Hi Massimo,

>> You might want to try the current git HEAD.
>
> I'm having some issues using IMAP with Gnus v5.19, sometimes it hangs
> while connecting on my IMAP server (which is located on my same
> subnet), is this resolved?

I don't know, but since most of the IMAP stuff has been rewritten, I'd
simply try it out.

BTW: What's the Gnus version v5.19?  I think the latest Gnus version
bundled with emacs 23 is 5.13...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: email with emacs
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4.1293546353.18545.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-28 19:20         ` Massimo Gengarelli
From: Massimo Gengarelli @ 2010-12-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> BTW: What's the Gnus version v5.19?  I think the latest Gnus version
> bundled with emacs 23 is 5.13...

You're right, it's v5.13 :-P

 massi