all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-11-30 20:45 Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-11-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello fellow Emacs addicts,

I have been using ERC for quite some time now, and I love it!  Now I
want to use an IRC bouncer.  I have set up ircproxy
<http://ircproxy.sourceforge.net/> on a VPS, but I can't connect to it
because I don't seem to be able to tell ERC the server username and
password to use.  When I try to connect to ircproxy, I get the
following error.

==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.

Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.

*** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer

I don't think it matters that I'm using a bouncer, as this seems to be
a matter of authenticating to an IRC server (as opposed to NickServ).

*Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
that I only haven't found it.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-01 19:04 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-12-01 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2010/11/30 Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz>:
> Hello fellow Emacs addicts,
>
> I have been using ERC for quite some time now, and I love it!  Now I
> want to use an IRC bouncer.  I have set up ircproxy
> <http://ircproxy.sourceforge.net/> on a VPS, but I can't connect to it
> because I don't seem to be able to tell ERC the server username and
> password to use.  When I try to connect to ircproxy, I get the
> following error.
>
> ==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.
>

> Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.
>

> *** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer
>
> I don't think it matters that I'm using a bouncer, as this seems to be
> a matter of authenticating to an IRC server (as opposed to NickServ).
>
> *Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
> that I only haven't found it.
>
> Regards,
> Aidan Gauland

I hope this information will be useful for you:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/erc/Connecting.html

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-01 23:08   ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-12-01 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I hope this information will be useful for you:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/erc/Connecting.html

I'm afraid not.  As far as I can tell, the password parameter to the
`erc' function is for specifying the password for identifying to
NickServ *after* connecting, not the password needed to make the
server let you actually connect, which is what I need to do.

--Aidan

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-02 12:32     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-12-02 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/12/2 Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I hope this information will be useful for you:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/erc/Connecting.html
>
> I'm afraid not.  As far as I can tell, the password parameter to the
> `erc' function is for specifying the password for identifying to
> NickServ *after* connecting, not the password needed to make the
> server let you actually connect, which is what I need to do.

Where did you get that idea? I don't see any mentioning of NickServ in
that document.

I looked in the source code and found this:
"Use PASSWD as user password on the server."
The variable erc-session-password is then set to PASSWORD and then
when erc-login is called it sends the value as "PASS" to the server.

I'm not sure where erc-login is actually called as I'm not that
familiar with ERC myself but I definitely think the password parameter
is for authenticating to the IRC server.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-03  1:12       ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-12-03  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 01:32:41PM +0100, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2010/12/2 Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz>:
> > I'm afraid not.  As far as I can tell, the password parameter to the
> > `erc' function is for specifying the password for identifying to
> > NickServ *after* connecting, not the password needed to make the
> > server let you actually connect, which is what I need to do.
>
> Where did you get that idea? I don't see any mentioning of NickServ in
> that document.

That's what erc does with the password I give it.  It uses it to
identify to nickserv, and when I gave it the "PASS" for the server, I
got the error I put in my initial post.

--Aidan

* IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-06  0:27 Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-12-06  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hello allmighty Emacs developers,

I know this is not the Emacs users mailing list, but I haven't
received any helpful replies on that list.  I think I have found a
deficiency in either ERC or its documentation, and even if not, I
really need the help from someone familiar with the innards of ERC.

I have set up ircproxy <http://ircproxy.sourceforge.net/> on a server,
but I can not connect to it because I don't seem to be able to tell
ERC the server username and password to use.  When I try to connect to
ircproxy -- by running the command `erc' and giving it the hostname of
the server, the port on which ircproxy is listening, and I give it my
ircproxy username and password at the "Nickname:" and "Password:"
prompts -- I get the following error.

==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.

Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.

*** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer

I don't think it matters that I'm using a bouncer, as this seems to be
a matter of authenticating to an IRC server (as opposed to NickServ).

I am using ERC Version 5.3 (GNU Emacs 23.2.1).

*Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
that I simply haven't found it.  If there is *NOT* a way to to this in
ERC, then I am willing to add this capability.

Kind regards,

@ 2010-12-06 12:59 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-12-06 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> *Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
> that I simply haven't found it.  If there is *NOT* a way to to this in
> ERC, then I am willing to add this capability.

I do this without any problem with ERC and ZNC.
Try to evaluate something like:

  (erc
   :server "someserver"
   :nick "jd"
   :password "bla")

That should work.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-06 14:15   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-12-06 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel

2010/12/6 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info>:
> On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Aidan Gauland wrote:
>
>> *Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
>> that I simply haven't found it.  If there is *NOT* a way to to this in
>> ERC, then I am willing to add this capability.
>
> I do this without any problem with ERC and ZNC.
> Try to evaluate something like:
>
>  (erc
>   :server "someserver"
>   :nick "jd"
>   :password "bla")
>
> That should work.

I told Aidan basically the same thing on help-gnu-emacs, but he
insisted that the password argument to `erc' is used to identify to
NickServ and not as a PASS parameter to the IRC server...

* Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
@ 2010-12-06 19:00     ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-12-06 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 03:15:46PM +0100, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2010/12/6 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info>:
> > On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Aidan Gauland wrote:
> >
> >> *Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
> >> that I simply haven't found it.  If there is *NOT* a way to to this in
> >> ERC, then I am willing to add this capability.
> >
> > I do this without any problem with ERC and ZNC.
> > Try to evaluate something like:
> >
> >  (erc
> >   :server "someserver"
> >   :nick "jd"
> >   :password "bla")
> >
> > That should work.
> >

> I told Aidan basically the same thing on help-gnu-emacs, but he
> insisted that the password argument to `erc' is used to identify to
> NickServ and not as a PASS parameter to the IRC server...

I'm sorry if I seemed to be insisting that.  I only meant that when I
tried, I got the error...
==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.

You asked me why I thought that the password argument to `erc' is not
used as the PASS to the IRC server, so I told you.

In your message to me, you said...

> I looked in the source code and found this:
> "Use PASSWD as user password on the server."
> The variable erc-session-password is then set to PASSWORD and then
> when erc-login is called it sends the value as "PASS" to the server.

I have looked at the ERC source code, but didn't figure out much since
I am not very familiar with the IRC protocol, so I am grateful that
you pointed this out.

I must admit that I feel rather foolish now that I have used Wireshark
to look at the packets sent by ERC to find that it does, indeed, send
the password parameter as the PASS to the server.  It really does seem
to be a problem at the other end (the bouncer).

I suppose it's not a complete loss since I learned from Julien Danjou
that ERC *does* work with bouncers (or at least ZNC).

Anyway, consider this annoying idiot out of your hair.

@ 2010-12-06 19:09     ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-12-06 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel