Do emacs-snapshot -Q -nw with the attached file "nuk" in an xterm with TERM=xterm: emacs does not place the cursor on the leftmost position in empty lines but one charakter to the right. If I then type a charakter it displays at the leftmost position and the cursor does not move to the right. If I type a second character, this character displays at the second column and the cursor moves to the right. If I save the file and use another tool to view it everything looks alright. This only happens in terminal frames (tested on xterm and rxvt-unicode), not in graphical X frames. This bug has been introduced after emacs-snapshot 2010-10-30 and is present in emacs-snapshot 2010-11-16. See the attached screenshots which show the red cursor on the leftmost position with emacs-snapshot 2010-30 and on the second column with emacs-snapshot 2010-11-16. This is on a rxtv-unicode terminal in a screen (1) session. The screenshots emacs-snapshot-one.png, emacs-snapshot-two.png and emacs-snapshot-three.png show the cursor on the second column, then with the first charakter of this very paragraph typed ("S" leftmost, cursor on second column) and then with the second charakter of this very paragraph typed. These three screenshots are with emacs -Q -nw in an xterm. It would be nice if the cursor would be on the leftmost position in empty lines. Thanks for your attention, Gregor