all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem writing to a gvfs (sftp) directory
@ 2010-08-26  6:54 mhuhtala
From: mhuhtala @ 2010-08-26  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emacs seems to clobber files when trying to write to a gvfs-mounted
directory. This is not Tramp, just doing a plain save buffer, but into
a gvfs directory. I'm on Fedora 13 and I've connected to the server
with Nautilus using ssh, and then tried to edit files in e.g.

~/.gvfs/sftp for mhuhtala on hostmachine.fi/home/mhuhtala/

The first save (C-x C-s) from Emacs works, but the second or at the
latest the third time writes an empty file (size zero bytes). The
Emacs messages buffer says that the save was successful and there's no
sign of errors from Emacs or gvfs as far as I can tell. Doing the same
with Gedit works, so it seems to be an Emacs problem. Gedit happily
saves the files again and again, but Emacs silently wipes them, which
is not nice.

I have a feeling that this is a frequently asked question, but I
wasn't able to find anything in the Emacs or Fedora bug trackers.

Relevant versions:

emacs-23.2-4.fc13.i686
gvfs-fuse-1.6.2-1.fc13.i686

The remote hosts are a Fedora 8 / 2.6.21.7-5.fc8xen / x86_64 and a
CentOS 5.5 /2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 / i686 system. Emacs behavior is the
same on both. The directories where I'm trying to write are
NFS-mounted on both of the remote hosts.

Any ideas?

Mikko

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-08-26  6:54 UTC | newest]