all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* about auto indentation
@ 2010-08-07 11:22 fgr
From: fgr @ 2010-08-07 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I've got a bit question about automatic indentation.

Geany editor (consider a C style comment):

/*[1]
*/

[1] when I hit the return key in that point, Geany does an automatic
indent, add an "*" and a blank space. It's like this:

/*
 *
*/

I've read <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoIndentation> page, but
seems there isn't what I'm looking for.

TIA

* Re: about auto indentation
@ 2010-08-07 12:08 ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]   ` <20100807151110.5a60f768@bir-tawil.nul>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-08-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* 2010-08-07 13:22 (+0200), fgr@bir-tawil.nul.invalid wrote:

> I've got a bit question about automatic indentation.

There is wasn't any questions in your message.

> /*[1]
> */
>
> [1] when I hit the return key in that point, Geany does an automatic
> indent, add an "*" and a blank space. [...]

I guess you want command c-indent-new-comment-line which, by default, is
bound to M-j key in c-mode.

* Re: about auto indentation
       [not found]   ` <20100807151110.5a60f768@bir-tawil.nul>
@ 2010-08-07 13:50     ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-08-07 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* 2010-08-07 15:11 (+0200), fgr@bir-tawil.nul.invalid wrote:

>> I guess you want command c-indent-new-comment-line which, by default,
>> is bound to M-j key in c-mode.
>
> That command does an indentation but doesn't add any "*" character.

Did you use M-j at the end of a comment line? The command should add a
newline, indent and then add a comment character. That's what it does in
my Emacs. Command's description:

    M-j runs the command c-indent-new-comment-line, which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in `cc-cmds.el'.

    It is bound to M-j, C-M-j.

    (c-indent-new-comment-line &optional SOFT ALLOW-AUTO-FILL)

    Break line at point and indent, continuing comment or macro if
    within one. If inside a comment and `comment-multi-line' is non-nil,
    the indentation and line prefix are preserved (see the
    `c-comment-prefix-regexp' and `c-block-comment-prefix' variables for
    details). If inside a single line comment and `comment-multi-line'
    is nil, a new comment of the same type is started on the next line
    and indented as appropriate for comments. If inside a macro, a line
    continuation backslash is inserted and aligned as appropriate, and
    the new line is indented according to `c-syntactic-indentation'.

    If a fill prefix is specified, it overrides all the above.

* Re: about auto indentation
@ 2010-08-07 14:57       ` fgr
From: fgr @ 2010-08-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

| * 2010-08-07 15:11 (+0200), fgr@bir-tawil.nul.invalid wrote:

| >> I guess you want command c-indent-new-comment-line which, by
| default, >> is bound to M-j key in c-mode.
| >
| > That command does an indentation but doesn't add any "*"
| character.
|
| Did you use M-j at the end of a comment line? The command should
| add a newline, indent and then add a comment character. That's
| what it does in my Emacs. Command's description:
|
|     M-j runs the command c-indent-new-comment-line, which is an
|     interactive compiled Lisp function in `cc-cmds.el'.
|
|     It is bound to M-j, C-M-j.
|
|     (c-indent-new-comment-line &optional SOFT ALLOW-AUTO-FILL)
[...]

Well, you can take a look at the following:

,----
| ~ % locate cc-cmds.el
| /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/progmodes/cc-cmds.el.gz
| /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/progmodes/cc-cmds.elc
`----

Maybe some setting influences the command in question. I don't know.

What follows is an extract of my ~/emacs.d/init.el:

(global-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)

(setq comment-auto-fill-only-comments t)
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda () (c-toggle-auto-state 1)))
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda () (c-toggle-hungry-state 1)))
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda () (c-subword-mode 1)))
(c-set-offset 'case-label '+) ; see Emacs FAQ, 5.22

;; To automatically fill comments but not code in ProgrammingModes
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook
          (lambda ()
            (auto-fill-mode 1)
            (set (make-local-variable 'fill-nobreak-predicate)
                 (lambda ()
                   (not (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face)
                            'font-lock-comment-face))))))

* Re: about auto indentation
@ 2010-08-07 15:20         ` fgr
From: fgr @ 2010-08-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

solved! c-indent-new-comment-line works if the comment is like this:

/*
 *
*/

That is, there must be a line that contains a "*" character while I
was hitting the return key on the first line of the comment.

anyway, thanks.