all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs behavior
@ 2010-05-02  5:18 VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
From: VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO @ 2010-05-02  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I would like to change the default behavior of Emacs in C mode, I
use tabs instead of spaces for editing, so I changed my .emacs[1]
to behave the way I want.

For instance, I want:

function()
{
	commands;
}

But Emacs automatically modify the text to:

function()
  {
    commands;
  }

It works the way I want in text-mode, but I want syntax highligting.

I would like Emacs to behave like mg or vi in C mode.

[1] This is the relevant part in my .emacs file:
        ;Tab stuff
        (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'self-insert-command)

        (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'tab-to-tab-stop)

        (setq-default tab-width 8)
        (setq-default tab-stop-list (list 8 16 24 32 40 ))

* Re: Emacs behavior
@ 2010-05-03  2:13 ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2010-05-03  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>From: "VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO"

>I would like to change the default behavior of Emacs in C mode, I
>use tabs instead of spaces for editing, so I changed my .emacs[1]
>to behave the way I want.
>
>For instance, I want:
>
>function()
>{
>	commands;
>}
>
>But Emacs automatically modify the text to:
>
>function()
>  {
>    commands;
>  }
>
>It works the way I want in text-mode, but I want syntax highligting.
>
>I would like Emacs to behave like mg or vi in C mode.

I've been working on a C project where most of the source code was
indented using tabs, and I wanted my edits to follow the same
formatting.  A solution that worked for me was

/*
  * Local Variables:
  * c-basic-offset: 8
  * indent-tabs-mode: t
  * End:
  */

I added this Local Variables block at the bottom of each .c file I
needed to edit.  (I didn't want to change the behavior of C mode
globally; instead, I merely wanted to change it in a few specific
files.)

Putting something like

  (setq c-basic-offset 8
        indent-tabs-mode t)

into ~/.emacs may give some of the behavior you're looking for.

You can also try

   (setq c-indentation-style "linux")

For a description of cc-mode styles, these are good places to start:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ccmode/Choosing-a-Style.html#Choosing-a-Style
   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ccmode/Built_002din-Styles.html#Built_002din-Styles

Finally, c-insert-tab-function might also be useful to you.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ccmode/Indentation-Commands.html#index-TAB-17

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs behavior
@ 2010-05-04  3:44   ` VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
From: VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO @ 2010-05-04  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs, steve

> Putting something like
>
>   (setq c-basic-offset 8
>         indent-tabs-mode t)
>
> into ~/.emacs may give some of the behavior you're looking for.
>
> You can also try
>
>    (setq c-indentation-style "linux")

Thank you. I removed my old .emacs and put that instead, it
works almost perfectly. The only issue is:

	function()
		{

	}

It puts the first "{" in the wrong place, but it's just a matter of
C-d and then it goes to its place:

	function()
	{

	}

It would be fine to make it right in the first place. But it's good
enough now. It's just a matter of deleting an extra tab...
Thank you very much.

* Re: Emacs behavior
@ 2010-05-04 18:03     ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-05-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 12:44:12AM -0300, VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO wrote:
> > Putting something like
> >
> >   (setq c-basic-offset 8
> >         indent-tabs-mode t)
> >
> > into ~/.emacs may give some of the behavior you're looking for.
> >
> > You can also try
> >
> >    (setq c-indentation-style "linux")
> >

> Thank you. I removed my old .emacs and put that instead, it
> works almost perfectly. The only issue is:
>
> 	function()
> 		{
>
> 	}

I think you want "bsd" instead of "linux" for the c-indentation-style if
you want the braces to line up (which of course is the only sensible way
to do it *grin*). Try it, anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_style#Allman_style_.28bsd_in_Emacs.29

* Re: Emacs behavior
@ 2010-05-06  1:21       ` VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
From: VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO @ 2010-05-06  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs, help-gnu-emacs

> I think you want "bsd" instead of "linux" for the c-indentation-style if
> you want the braces to line up (which of course is the only sensible way
> to do it *grin*). Try it, anyway.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_style#Allman_style_.28bsd_in_Emacs.29

Thanks!