all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Connecting Emacs to Python in Windows XP
@ 2010-04-29 16:53 Roberto Gerardi
From: Roberto Gerardi @ 2010-04-29 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've downloaded Emacs 2.3 and Python 3.0. I'm totally new with this,
so I could not run python programs from Emacs. Is there any set up or
extra file I have to download and install to link Emacs with Python?

Thanks,

Roberto

* Re: Connecting Emacs to Python in Windows XP
@ 2010-04-30 18:51 ` rasmith
From: rasmith @ 2010-04-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rgerardi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From: Roberto Gerardi <rgerardi@gmail.com>
Subject: Connecting Emacs to Python in Windows XP
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:53:26 -0400

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded Emacs 2.3 and Python 3.0.

 Would that be Emacs 23.1? 2.3 is genuinely ancient.

>I'm totally new with this,
> so I could not run python programs from Emacs. Is there any set up or
> extra file I have to download and install to link Emacs with Python?

Is the file python.el on your system?  Try

M-x load-library RET python RET

If you see the message 'Loading python ... done', then it is.

This defines  the commands python-mode, run-python, python-shell.  For
their descrptions:

C-h f python-mode RET (and so on)

Invoke by M-x python-mode RET, etc.

(If you're totally new to emacs, 'C-h' means 'Ctrl-h', 'M-x' means
'Meta-x' (and the 'Meta' key is probably one of your Alt keys).

Robin Smith