all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cannot open load file
@ 2009-03-05  0:59 lehe
From: lehe @ 2009-03-05  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I just installed bash debugger bashdb under ${HOME}/bin/bashdb-4.0-0.2/bin.
Now I want to use it in emacs.

As bashdb.el indicates, I add into .emacs "(autoload 'bashdb "bashdb" "BASH
Debugger mode via GUD and bashdb" t)". However I got this "cannot open load
file: bashdb" error when "M-x bashdb". The error remains when I add this to
".emacs":
(setq load-path
      (append (list nil "${HOME}/bin/bashdb-4.0-0.2/bin/"
                    "/user/bil/emacs"
                    "/usr/local/lisplib"
                    "~/emacs")
              load-path))
I am not sure if PATH also has effect, but I include bashdb path into it.

Thanks in advance!

* Re: cannot open load file
@ 2009-03-05  9:35 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-05  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lehe; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

lehe <timlee126@yahoo.com> wrote:  > (setq load-path  >
(append (list nil "${HOME}/bin/bashdb-4.0-0.2/bin/"  >
"/user/bil/emacs"  >                     "/usr/local/lisplib"  >
"~/emacs")  >               load-path))

You only need the path that includes the .el file here, but I
think you need to expand ~ and HOME first.

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/emacs"))

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 13:20 rahed
From: rahed @ 2010-04-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I installed an emacs 23.1 package from sunfreeware on solaris.

Opening it with emacs -Q and doing C-h v load-path gives:

Cannot open load file: easymenu

If started with -L /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/emacs-lisp

the easymenu is found.

Then C-h v load-path gives only the above path and site-lisp paths.

The load path variable is not set, could someone elaborate?

--
Radek

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 15:28 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-04-12 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 16:00   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-12 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, rahed

Am 12.04.2010 um 17:28 schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:

> What do you expect, and why?

Having load-path set, because it's built-in. Try it! (Outside of
Solaris best.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error – but fruit flies like a banana!
				- (almost) Groucho Marx

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 19:16     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-04-12 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, rahed

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 20:04   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2010-04-12 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> Hm. Difficult to elaborate without knowing what you expect. Starting
> Emacs with the -Q option more-or-less tells it to load as little
> customizations as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't
> find its .el files...
>
> What do you expect, and why?

To eliminate possible problems with my .emacs.

I wasn't able to find out where the load-path variable is defined. I get
it's set in the emacs binary when it was being built. I will try to
build it from source. I use several emacs packages for solaris 10 but
this broken one is for solaris 9.

--
Radek

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-12 20:17     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-12 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.04.2010 um 22:04 schrieb rahed:

> I wasn't able to find out where the load-path variable is defined.

Look at the output of ./configure --help! The file src/epaths.h will
contain a setting.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.
				– Albert Einstein

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-13 12:02     ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2010-04-13 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

> I wasn't able to find out where the load-path variable is defined. I get
> it's set in the emacs binary when it was being built. I will try to
> build it from source. I use several emacs packages for solaris 10 but
> this broken one is for solaris 9.

Installing from source was ok though it was tedious. I suppose the
package is broken.

--
Radek

* Re: Cannot open load file
@ 2010-04-13 12:47       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-13 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.04.2010 um 14:02 schrieb rahed:

> Installing from source was ok though it was tedious. I suppose the
> package is broken.

When you use the function to create a bug report (in Help menu for
example) you get a *mail* buffer (hopefully) which gives some hints
how GNU Emacs was configured and compiled. You can also check which
shared libraries it uses (either lsof or ldd).

--
Greetings

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it.