all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Java development with Emacs
@ 2010-03-07 16:26 Jeff Clough
From: Jeff Clough @ 2010-03-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
(for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
"ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*

What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
writing programs spanning multiple files and such.

So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?

Barring an all-singing and dancing Emacs solution that lets me browse
classes, debug my applications, etc., is there any feasible way to
make Emacs work with NetBeans so that NB can keep managing my projects
but all of my editing can take place in Emacs?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

* Re: Java development with Emacs
@ 2010-03-08 12:21 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-03-08 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jeff Clough; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Jeff Clough <jeff@chaosphere.com> wrote:
> Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
> thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
> (for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
> "ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
> that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*
>
> What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
> using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
> other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
> from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
> but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
> working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
> writing programs spanning multiple files and such.
>
> So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
> center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?
>
> Barring an all-singing and dancing Emacs solution that lets me browse
> classes, debug my applications, etc., is there any feasible way to
> make Emacs work with NetBeans so that NB can keep managing my projects
> but all of my editing can take place in Emacs?

Not that I've been able to actually make it work or anything, but I'm
fairly sure that the standard among people who live in Emacs and do
Java dev is a combination of [CEDET], [ECB], and [JDEE].  If you
haven't look at those packages, I highly recommend them.

Alternatively, just going with tagged source files could be all you need...

CEDET: http://cedet.sourceforge.net/
ECB: http://ecb.sourceforge.net/
JDEE: http://jdee.sourceforge.net/

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Java development with Emacs
@ 2010-03-08 14:06 ` Steve Revilak
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2453.1268074776.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Steve Revilak @ 2010-03-08 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
>thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
>(for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
>"ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
>that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*
>
>What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
>using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
>other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
>from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
>but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
>working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
>writing programs spanning multiple files and such.
>
>So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
>center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?

This topic comes up every once in a while, and I'm sure you'll find
plenty of opinions in the archives of help-gnu-emacs.

I use emacs for java development.  My setup is very simple, but it
works well for me.

  - java mode for java editing

  - ant for compilation, javadoc generation, and general integration
    with third-party java development tools.

    I set the shell environment variable ANT_ARGS=-emacs so that ant
    outputs file and line numbers in a format that compilation mode
    understands.  Within emacs, I

    (setq compile-command "ant -find build.xml ")

  - gnu global for source code indexing and symbol navigation.

  - emacs' existing facilities for interacting with version control
    systems (cvs-mode, vc, etc)

  - A web browser for viewing javadoc

  - Occasionally, I use eclipse as a debugger.  (Primarily because
    I've never come to terms with jdb.)

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Java development with Emacs
@ 2010-03-08 18:59   ` hazlup
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2453.1268074776.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: hazlup @ 2010-03-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Steve Revilak-2 wrote:

>>Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
>>thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
>>(for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
>>"ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
>>that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*
>>
>>What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
>>using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
>>other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
>>from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
>>but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
>>working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
>>writing programs spanning multiple files and such.
>>
>>So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
>>center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?
>
> This topic comes up every once in a while, and I'm sure you'll find
> plenty of opinions in the archives of help-gnu-emacs.
>
> I use emacs for java development.  My setup is very simple, but it
> works well for me.
>
>   - java mode for java editing
>
>   - ant for compilation, javadoc generation, and general integration
>     with third-party java development tools.
>
>     I set the shell environment variable ANT_ARGS=-emacs so that ant
>     outputs file and line numbers in a format that compilation mode
>     understands.  Within emacs, I
>
>     (setq compile-command "ant -find build.xml ")
>
>   - gnu global for source code indexing and symbol navigation.
>
>   - emacs' existing facilities for interacting with version control
>     systems (cvs-mode, vc, etc)
>
>   - A web browser for viewing javadoc
>
>   - Occasionally, I use eclipse as a debugger.  (Primarily because
>     I've never come to terms with jdb.)
>
> Steve

Add the gtags package to quickly walk to class and member definitions

@ 2010-03-09  1:33     ` zugzwang
From: zugzwang @ 2010-03-09  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 8, 10:59 am, hazlup <robjsarg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Revilak-2 wrote:
>
> >>Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
> >>thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
> >>(for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
> >>"ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
> >>that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*
>
> >>What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
> >>using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
> >>other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
> >>from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
> >>but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
> >>working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
> >>writing programs spanning multiple files and such.
>
> >>So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
> >>center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?
>
> > This topic comes up every once in a while, and I'm sure you'll find
> > plenty of opinions in the archives of help-gnu-emacs.
>
> > I use emacs for java development.  My setup is very simple, but it
> > works well for me.
>
> >   - java mode for java editing
>
> >   - ant for compilation, javadoc generation, and general integration
> >     with third-party java development tools.
>
> >     I set the shell environment variable ANT_ARGS=-emacs so that ant
> >     outputs file and line numbers in a format that compilation mode
> >     understands.  Within emacs, I
>
> >     (setq compile-command "ant -find build.xml ")
>
> >   - gnu global for source code indexing and symbol navigation.
>
> >   - emacs' existing facilities for interacting with version control
> >     systems (cvs-mode, vc, etc)
>
> >   - A web browser for viewing javadoc
>
> >   - Occasionally, I use eclipse as a debugger.  (Primarily because
> >     I've never come to terms with jdb.)
>
> > Steve
>
> Add the gtags package to quickly walk to class and member definitions
> --

I would experiment with Eclipse, see what features it has that are
reproducible in Emacs, and ask myself how important  Eclipse's other
features are.

* Re: Java development with Emacs
@ 2010-03-09 11:32       ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-03-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 9 Mar, 02:33, zugzwang <buyoninte...@bluebottle.com> wrote:
(...)
> I would experiment with Eclipse, see what features it has that are
> reproducible in Emacs, and ask myself how important  Eclipse's other
> features are.

I'm currently experimenting with eclim and the emacs client. Looks
nice:

* http://eclim.org/
* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsEclim

Cheers,