all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sanskrit Unicode Text Processing
@ 2010-03-07  9:37 Tobias
From: Tobias @ 2010-03-07  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

when I configure Emacs for Sanskrit Unicode according to this:

http://coseruc.people.cofc.edu/unicode/

at Point 4 I do:

C-x C-f to reach the Emacs leim path where you copied the sanskrit.el
file and execute:

M-x byte-compile-file sanskrit.el

I get error as this one: sanskrit.el:33:2:Warning: `"#a"' is a malformed
function

can anyone enlighten me on this problem

the sanskrit.el file looks like this:

;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
;;
;; sanskrit.el
;;
;; Emacs Unicode input method for Sanskrit transliteration and Western
;; European characters
;;
;; Author: Stefan Baums <baums@u.washington.edu>
;;
;; Version 1.0 (first public release) 12 February 2002
;;
;;     Changed by J Hanneder Sept.2002
;;     Now # and . are the escape characters
;;     for all Sanskrit related diacritics.
;;
;;     added some Tamil 6/05

(require 'quail)

(quail-define-package "sanskrit" "Sanskrit" "S>" t
"This is an input method for Sanskrit transliteration and Western
European characters.  Basically, you type first the required diacritic
and then the letter (as in ['] [a] to get á).  After typing the
diacritic, a list of possible letters is shown in the echo area."
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil t)

(quail-define-rules)

;; Sanskrit part
;; JH special
 ("#a" ?ā)
 ("#A" ?Ā)
 ("#i" ?ī)
 ("#I" ?Ī)
 ("#u" ?ū)
 ("#U" ?Ū)
 ("#s" ?ś)
 ("#S" ?Ś)
 ("#X" ?Ś)
 ("#h" ?ḥ)
 ("#j" ?ñ)
 ("#c" ?ñ)
 ("#g" ?ṅ)
 ("#k" ?ṅ)
 ("#m" ?ṃ)
 ("#r" ?ṛ)
 (".r" ?ṝ)
 ("#e" ?ē)
 ("#o" ?ō)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

 ("'a" ?á)
 ("'A" ?Á)
 ("`a" ?à)
 ("`A" ?À)
 ("'=a" ["ā́"])
 ("'=A" ["Ā́"])
 ("`=a" ["ā̀"])
 ("`=A" ["Ā̀"])
 ("'i" ?í)
 ("'I" ?Í)
 ("`i" ?ì)
 ("`I" ?Ì)
 ("'=i" ["ī́"])
 ("'=I" ["Ī́"])
 ("`=i" ["ī̀"])
 ("`=I" ["Ī̀"])
 ("'u" ?ú)
 ("'U" ?Ú)
 ("`u" ?ù)
 ("`U" ?Ù)
 ("'=u" ["ū́"])
 ("'=U" ["Ū́"])
 ("`=u" ["ū̀"])
 ("`=U" ["Ū̀"])
 ("'.r" ["ṛ́"])
 ("'.R" ["Ṛ́"])
 ("`.r" ["ṛ̀"])
 ("`.R" ["Ṛ̀"])
 ("'=.r" ["ṝ́"])
 ("'=.R" ["Ṝ́"])
 ("`=.r" ["ṝ̀"])
 ("`=.R" ["Ṝ̀"])
 ("'.l" ["ḷ́"])
 ("'.L" ["Ḷ́"])
 ("`.l" ["ḷ̀"])
 ("`.L" ["Ḷ̀"])
 ("'=.l" ["ḹ́"])
 ("'=.L" ["Ḹ́"])
 ("`=.l" ["ḹ̀"])
 ("`=.L" ["Ḹ̀"])
 ("'e" ?é)
 ("'E" ?É)
 ("`e" ?è)
 ("`E" ?È)
 ("'o" ?ó)
 ("'O" ?Ó)
 ("`o" ?ò)
 ("`O" ?Ò)

 ("=.r" ?ṝ)
 ("=.R" ?Ṝ)
 (".l" ?ḷ)
 (".L" ?Ḷ)
 ("=.l" ?ḹ)
 ("=.L" ?Ḹ)

 (".m" ?ṃ)
 (".M" ?Ṃ)
 ("-m" ?ṁ)
 ("-M" ?Ṁ)
 (".h" ?ḥ)
 (".H" ?Ḥ)
 ("_h" ?ẖ)
 ("_H" ["H̱"])
 ("/h" ?ḫ)
 ("_n" ?ṉ)
 ("_r" ?ṟ)
 ("_l" ?ḻ)
 ("_k" ?ḵ)
 ("_t" ?ṯ)

 ("-n" ?ṅ)
 ("-N" ?Ṅ)
 ("~n" ?ñ)
 ("~N" ?Ñ)
 (".t" ?ṭ)
 (".T" ?Ṭ)
 (".d" ?ḍ)
 (".D" ?Ḍ)
 (".n" ?ṇ)
 (".N" ?Ṇ)
 ("'s" ?ś)
 ("'S" ?Ś)
 (".s" ?ṣ)
 (".S" ?Ṣ)

;; Western European part (completes coverage of ISO 8859‐1 letters plus
;; œ Œ)

 ("^a" ?â)
 ("^A" ?Â)
 ("~a" ?ã)
 ("~A" ?Ã)
 ("\"a" ?ä)
 ("\"A" ?Ä)
 ("/e" ?æ)
 ("/E" ?Æ)
 ("/a" ?å)
 ("/A" ?Å)
 (",c" ?ç)
 (",C" ?Ç)
 ("/d" ?ð)
 ("/D" ?Ð)
 ("^e" ?ê)
 ("^E" ?Ê)
 ("\"e" ?ë)
 ("\"E" ?Ë)
 ("^i" ?î)
 ("^I" ?Î)
 ("\"i" ?ï)
 ("\"I" ?Ï)
 ("^o" ?ô)
 ("^O" ?Ô)
 ("~o" ?õ)
 ("~O" ?Õ)
 ("\"o" ?ö)
 ("\"O" ?Ö)
 ("/o" ?ø)
 ("/O" ?Ø)
 ("\\oe" ?œ)
 ("\\OE" ?Œ)
 ("/s" ?ß)
 ("/t" ?þ)
 ("/T" ?Þ)
 ("^u" ?û)
 ("^U" ?Û)
 ("\"u" ?ü)
 ("\"U" ?Ü)
 ("'Y" ?Ý)
 ("'y" ?ý)
 ("\"y" ?ÿ)
;; German keyboard

;    ("\304" ?Ä)
;    ("\326" "\"O")
;    ("\334" "\"U")
;    ("\344" "\"a")
;    ("\366" "\"o")
;    ("\337" "\"s")
;    ("\374" "\"u")
;; Punctuation part

 ("\-" ?‐)
 ("\-\-" ?--)
 ("\-\-\-" ?---)
 ("$\-$" ?−)
 ("\\`" ?‘)
 ("\\'" ?’)
 ("\\," ?‚)
 ("\\``" ?“)
 ("\\''" ?”)
 ("\\,," ?„)
 ("<<" ["« "]) ; French
 (">>" [" »"]) ; French

 )

* Re: Sanskrit Unicode Text Processing
@ 2010-03-08  6:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-03-08  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tobias <kuzum@mebias.org>
> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:37:31 +0100
>
> at Point 4 I do:
>
> C-x C-f to reach the Emacs leim path where you copied the sanskrit.el
> file and execute:
>
> M-x byte-compile-file sanskrit.el
>
> I get error as this one: sanskrit.el:33:2:Warning: `"#a"' is a malformed
> function
>
> can anyone enlighten me on this problem

Remove the right parenthesis in the line below, save the file
sanskrit.el, then try again:

@ 2010-03-08  6:36 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-03-08  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tobias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:37:31AM +0100, Tobias wrote:
> when I configure Emacs for Sanskrit Unicode according to this:
>
> http://coseruc.people.cofc.edu/unicode/
>
> at Point 4 I do:
>
> C-x C-f to reach the Emacs leim path where you copied the sanskrit.el
> file and execute:
>
> M-x byte-compile-file sanskrit.el
>
> I get error as this one: sanskrit.el:33:2:Warning: `"#a"' is a malformed
> function
>
> can anyone enlighten me on this problem

Hmm. Looking at the definition of "quail-define-rules" it seems that...

> the sanskrit.el file looks like this:
>

> ;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> ;;
> ;; sanskrit.el
> ;;
> ;; Emacs Unicode input method for Sanskrit transliteration and Western
> ;; European characters
> ;;
> ;; Author: Stefan Baums <baums@u.washington.edu>
> ;;
> ;; Version 1.0 (first public release) 12 February 2002
> ;;
> ;;     Changed by J Hanneder Sept.2002
> ;;     Now # and . are the escape characters
> ;;     for all Sanskrit related diacritics.
> ;;
> ;;     added some Tamil 6/05
>
> (require 'quail)
>
> (quail-define-package "sanskrit" "Sanskrit" "S>" t
> "This is an input method for Sanskrit transliteration and Western
> European characters.  Basically, you type first the required diacritic
> and then the letter (as in ['] [a] to get á).  After typing the
> diacritic, a list of possible letters is shown in the echo area."
> nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil t)
>
> (quail-define-rules)
                    ^^^ this closing parenthesis is bogus

> ;; Sanskrit part
> ;; JH special
>  ("#a" ?ā)
>  ("#A" ?Ā)
>  ("#i" ?ī)
>  ("#I" ?Ī)
[...]
>  )

Try removing it --  this might work. On the other hand, I might just not
know what I'm talking about ;-)

Regards
- -- tomás