Jan, Thanks, I really appreciate your taking the time to investigate. > I think there might be a bug in the window manager lurking in the background. > It resizes Emacs a lot if Emacs is too big for the display. > But if we set size hints at startup, this problem goes away. > > We used to do that, but the discussion starting at > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-10/msg00033.html > introduced a patch to not set wm hints at startup. That's a very interesting thread. I never realized that the startup process was so tricky. > So it is basiacally the old startup problem again, but in a different form. > I don't know if there is much we can do about this. I'll keep looking, > but as this isn't something that makes Emacs unusable, it is a low > priority. Agreed. It's a minor issue, and emacs is quite usable despite it. Steve