all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [JAVA] set up java-mode to match Eclipse setup
@ 2010-02-01 22:08 Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.1122.1265971221.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2010-02-01 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

my coworkers are using Eclipse for several of projects. I do not
like Eclipse and I'd rather want to stay in GNU Emacs. My main
concern is that it seems Eclipse setup is quite different from my
own java-mode setup. I think both of us are using default setup
parameters -i.e. I did not customize it and the did not in
Eclipse.

How can we "match" our environments ? For example, C-S-f in
Eclipse is like M-S-\ in Emacs but the result is quite different
making us quite nervous when commiting ;) We want such things to
be fixed either in my "IDE" or in theirs.

Any idea ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: [JAVA] set up java-mode to match Eclipse setup
@ 2010-02-12 10:41 ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found] ` <mailman.1122.1265971221.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-02-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Xavier Maillard, help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my coworkers are using Eclipse for several of projects. I do not
> like Eclipse and I'd rather want to stay in GNU Emacs. My main
> concern is that it seems Eclipse setup is quite different from my
> own java-mode setup. I think both of us are using default setup
> parameters -i.e. I did not customize it and the did not in
> Eclipse.
>
> How can we "match" our environments ? For example, C-S-f in
> Eclipse is like M-S-\ in Emacs but the result is quite different
> making us quite nervous when commiting ;) We want such things to
> be fixed either in my "IDE" or in theirs.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> 	Xavier

Hi Xavier,

just had a look at Eclipse, didn't use it really. So with some reserve, as being interested in too:

AFAIU Eclipse uses it's own editor, which may be steered with emacs-like keys.
Suppose you tried this.

Also editing within Eclipse with an extern editor should be possible. Vim should work,
but Emacs should work too.

That way user has the choice - call from within Emacs helper-processes or call from Eclipse.
The latter considered as a mere extension - an interesting one.

If working with Emacs from within Eclipse or not, you shouldn't notice it that much...

Andreas

@ 2010-02-13 16:35   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2010-02-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> AFAIU Eclipse uses it's own editor, which may be steered with
> emacs-like keys.  Suppose you tried this.

I have.  It doesn't really work.  Sort of does, but not all keys do, so
you cannot just forget about the keystrokes and do your work.  Some of
the keystrokes do different things and it was enough that I just quit
using the Emacs keystrokes.

There's probably some way to customize those things but non of the
eclipse users I talked ever customized anything and I found it seemingly
not there, so my guess is the customization for eclipse is more about
what plugins you use, not customizing the plugins you use.

--
Galen Boyer