all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* encrypting files
@ 2010-01-15 17:54 rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-15 23:36 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2010-01-15 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
   I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
   on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23

(require 'epa-file)
(epa-file-enable)

?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-16  0:00 ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2010-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:54:07 -0800 (PST),
rustom wrote:

> Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
> I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
> on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23

To encrypt files with gpg just do

M-x epa-encrypt-file
or
M-x epa-encrypt-region

If you use the GTK2 GUI of emacs and have the menu bar enabled: Tools
-> Encryption/Decryption.

If you want ascii armored output add the following line to your
~/.emacs:

(setq epa-armor t)

-Herbert

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-16  0:08   ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2010-01-16  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:36:11 +0100,
Xavier Maillard wrote:

>    Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
>    I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
>    on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23
>
> (require 'epa-file)
> (epa-file-enable)

Not needed on 23.x. It's automatically loaded.

-Herbert

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-16 18:30   ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2010-01-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
>    I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
>    on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23
>
> (require 'epa-file)
> (epa-file-enable)
>
> ?
>
> 	Xavier

Anybody was able to have this very nice thing working also on snow
leopard maybe?

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-16 18:43     ` Chris Van Dusen
From: Chris Van Dusen @ 2010-01-16 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 16, 2010, at 12:30 PM, andrea wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>   Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
>>   I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
>>   on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23
>>
>> (require 'epa-file)
>> (epa-file-enable)
>>
>> ?
>>
>> 	Xavier
>
> Anybody was able to have this very nice thing working also on snow
> leopard maybe?

I was able to it as per Herbert's example (no require/enable needed).

Chris.

* Re: encrypting files
@ 2010-01-16 20:51     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2010-01-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert J. Skuhra; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Xavier Maillard wrote:

   >    Is there a simple way of encrypting files in emacs23?
   >    I gather that emacs23 already has the infrastructure and most of whats
   >    on the wiki is not required (or appropriate) for emacs23
   >
   > (require 'epa-file)
   > (epa-file-enable)

   Not needed on 23.x. It's automatically loaded.

Good to know ;)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org