On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 05:23:03PM +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote: > Tassilo Horn wrote: > > Hm, I don't know how extensively you have tested, but using > > > > ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FSF-APPROVED @OSI-APPROVED" > > This is far from sufficient for an entirely free GNU distro (which all > distros should be, in an ideal world), because there are packages are > basically under a free license, but include component or two that are > clearly non-free, or have dependencies that are non-free. That will be tracked down by portage, it won't install a GPL-ed package if it has proprietary dependences. > > Unless Gentoo strips the tarballs to exclude such components, tweaks > the .ebuilds and dependencies accordingly, etc., this new feature of > the package manager is not a solution. > > Then comes the problem with incompatible licenses, which Gentoo > doesn't seem to pursue at all -- it'll happily compile whatever > combination of USE flags if it's technically possible. (I might be > wrong here.) While less severe than distributing and even silently > installing non-free software behind users' back, this is an issue that > should not be ignored. > The use flag combinations can be limited, though I think this would be upstream package problem - use flags are only more or less --enable-foo --disable-bar passed to configure script. > > BTW, this sub-thread seems to be off-topic on emacs-devel. > > I agree, also this discussion is pointless until Gentoo improves some things so let's end it. Happy hacking Marek Aaron Sapota