all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trouble building against Emacs23 OSX
@ 2009-12-13 23:06 defn
From: defn @ 2009-12-13 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-devel

I built emacs23 from source on OSX and placed Emacs.app into my
/Applications/ directory.  Everything works great, except for trying to
build things against it.

w3m apparently cannot be built against emacs22 and work in emacs23.

Since the most current version of emacs in /usr/bin is emacs22, I mv'd it
and ln'd /usr/bin/emacs to /Applications/Contents/MacOS/Emacs.

Now, when running configure for w3m it sees that I'm using emacs23, but it
cannot find simple.el, simple.elc, etc.:
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for texi2dvi... texi2dvi
checking for ptex... false
checking for jbibtex... false
checking for dvipdfmx... dvipdfmx
checking for texi2pdf... texi2pdf
checking for egrep... egrep
checking for emacs... /usr/bin/emacs
checking what a flavor does /usr/bin/emacs have... Emacs 23.1.50
checking prefix for /usr/bin/emacs... /usr
checking where lisp files should go... $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/
checking where icon files should go...
/Users/defn/src/emacs23/etc/images/w3m
Warning: arch-dependent data dir
(/Users/defn/src/emacs23/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec/emacs/23.1.50/x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0/)
does not exist.
Warning: Could not find simple.el nor simple.elc
Cannot open load file: cl
configure: error: Process couldn't proceed.  See the above messages.

Can anyone offer up any help on this?  I cannot find a libexec/emacs/23.1.50
anywhere on my system.

Thanks in advance,

Devin

* Re: Trouble building against Emacs23 OSX
@ 2009-12-13 23:24 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-12-13 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: defn; +Cc: Emacs-devel

On Dec 13, 2009, at 6:06 PM, defn wrote:

> I built emacs23 from source on OSX and placed Emacs.app into my /Applications/ directory. Everything works great, except for trying to build things against it. w3m apparently cannot be built against emacs22 and work in emacs23. Since the most current version of emacs in /usr/bin is emacs22, I mv'd it and ln'd /usr/bin/emacs to /Applications/Contents/MacOS/Emacs. Now, when running configure for w3m it sees that I'm using emacs23, but it cannot find simple.el, simple.elc, etc.:

> Warning: Could not find simple.el nor simple.elc
> Cannot open load file: cl
> configure: error: Process couldn't proceed.  See the above messages.

Could you try to set the appropriate environment variable rather than creating a symlink into the application bundle?

Usually, it is something like

export EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

* Re: Trouble building against Emacs23 OSX
@ 2009-12-13 23:32   ` Devin Walters
From: Devin Walters @ 2009-12-13 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-devel

That fixed it.