all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
@ 2009-12-04  9:49 Nocebic Meme
From: Nocebic Meme @ 2009-12-04  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone out there know if there is a solution to getting Emacs 23
running in fullscreen mode on a mac?  After much searching, I've come
up dry and am getting a bit desperate.

* Re: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
@ 2009-12-04 10:47 ` Nocebic Meme
From: Nocebic Meme @ 2009-12-04 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 3, 11:49 pm, Nocebic Meme <nocebicm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a solution to getting Emacs 23
> running in fullscreen mode on a mac?  After much searching, I've come
> up dry and am getting a bit desperate.

OK, I've gotten quite frustrated with the emacs 23 options for OS X
and I've just installed it via fink for the terminal (iterm).

Is there any way in OS X, if I click on a file type associated with
emacs, to have it open up in the terminal?

* Re: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
@ 2009-12-04 13:23   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-12-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nocebic Meme; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.12.2009 um 11:47 schrieb Nocebic Meme:

> Is there any way in OS X, if I click on a file type associated with
> emacs, to have it open up in the terminal?

There surely is a way to set up Launch Service this way – but this
"terminal" is just the host and its guest GNU Emacs would not
necessarily receive this file in a new buffer...

(MacPorts offers the "Aqua" variant of GNU Emacs 23, even one from CVS
code.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.

* Re: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
@ 2009-12-05  1:14 Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-05  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nocebicmeme> OK, I've gotten quite frustrated with the emacs 23
nocebicmeme> options for OS X and I've just installed it via fink for
nocebicmeme> the terminal (iterm).

nocebicmeme> Is there any way in OS X, if I click on a file type
nocebicmeme> associated with emacs, to have it open up in the
nocebicmeme> terminal?

A lot of what I'm about to say is tangental to the original post, but
hopefully some if it will be useful.

I've run Emacs on Mac OS X for years.  I've always built it from
source -- sometimes from release versions, and sometimes from tracking
the CVS trunk.  By the time of emacs-22.3.1 was released, emacs was
incredibly easy to easy to build on Mac OS X: "cd mac &&
./make-package --self-contained".  By the time the command finished,
you had a Carbon Emacs.app, packaged inside a Mac OS X installer
bundle.

When I downloaded 23.1.1, I was surprised to discover that the little
"mac" directory had disappeared.  Emacs 23 seems to be heading down
the path of merging Mac OS X/OpenStep/GNUStep code.  To excerpt a
section of etc/NEWS (from the emacs source distribution):

   ** New NeXTSTEP-based port
   This provides support for GNUstep (via the GNUstep libraries) and Mac
   OS X (via the Cocoa libraries).

   Specify --with-ns to configure for this.  By default, a self-contained
   app will be built (containing all lisp).  To install/share lisp with
   other emacsen (e.g. X11 build) use --disable-ns-self-contained.  See
   nextstep/README and nextstep/INSTALL in the Emacs source directory.

   Currently, the Nextstep port is not as stable as the other existing
   ports; we hope to improve it in future releases.

   ** Mac OS X is no longer supported via Carbon.
   Use the NeXTSTEP port, described above.

There are some very nice things in Emacs 23, but as the NEWS file
warns, there are also quirks under Mac OS X.  Eventually, I went back
to using 22.3.1 [1].  For me, 22.3.1 on Mac OS X has always been
incredibly stable.  (That said, I'll probably be one of the first in
line to try 22.3.2 :)

At the moment, you may have to choose against a pair of competing
interests: Emacs 23, or a very stable emacs on Mac OS X.

More to the original question: a few months ago, there was a thread on
mutt-users@mutt.org about how to have mutt handle mailto: urls [2].
Perhaps there are ideas there that you can use.

Steve

[1] The deciding issue was
     http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4774

[2] http://marc.info/?t=124490782700002&r=1&w=2
     Subest: Mutt on Mac: MuttToMail

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
       [not found] <mailman.12251.1259993776.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-05 19:01 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-05 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When I downloaded 23.1.1, I was surprised to discover that the little
> "mac" directory had disappeared.  Emacs 23 seems to be heading down
> the path of merging Mac OS X/OpenStep/GNUStep code.  To excerpt a
> section of etc/NEWS (from the emacs source distribution):

The original reason for the change was that nobody wanted to maintain
the "Carbon" port (i.e. the OSX code used in Emacs-22).  Now that we
switched, we have no intention to go back, so please help us improve the
NS code in Emacs-23 by reporting (via M-x report-emacs-bug) the problems
you encounter.

* Re: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X
@ 2009-12-06 16:43   ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

srevilak> When I downloaded 23.1.1, I was surprised to discover that
srevilak> the little "mac" directory had disappeared.  Emacs 23 seems
srevilak> to be heading down the path of merging Mac OS
srevilak> X/OpenStep/GNUStep code.  To excerpt a section of etc/NEWS
srevilak> (from the emacs source distribution):

monnier> The original reason for the change was that nobody wanted to
monnier> maintain the "Carbon" port (i.e. the OSX code used in
monnier> Emacs-22).  Now that we switched, we have no intention to go
monnier> back, so please help us improve the NS code in Emacs-23 by
monnier> reporting (via M-x report-emacs-bug) the problems you
monnier> encounter.

Stefan,

Thanks for the nudge.  I have reported more bugs :)

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Tracking Emacs Development (was: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X)
@ 2009-12-07  2:27     ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-07  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

srevilak> When I downloaded 23.1.1, I was surprised to discover that
srevilak> the little "mac" directory had disappeared.  Emacs 23 seems
srevilak> to be heading down the path of merging Mac OS
srevilak> X/OpenStep/GNUStep code.  To excerpt a section of etc/NEWS
srevilak> (from the emacs source distribution):

monnier> The original reason for the change was that nobody wanted to
monnier> maintain the "Carbon" port (i.e. the OSX code used in
monnier> Emacs-22).  Now that we switched, we have no intention to go
monnier> back, so please help us improve the NS code in Emacs-23 by
monnier> reporting (via M-x report-emacs-bug) the problems you
monnier> encounter.

srevilak> Thanks for the nudge.  I have reported more bugs :)

I'd like to ask a question on a more serious note.

To me, emacs is a very important piece of software, and I would like
to do what I can to help it improve.

What is the best way to follow emacs development?  Just check out the
trunk [1] and rebuild on a regular basis?  Are there incremental
branches done between release versions?

Steve

[1] i.e. http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Tracking Emacs Development (was: Fullscreen Mode, Emacs 23 and OS X)
@ 2009-12-07  9:32       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-12-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Revilak; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.12.2009 um 03:27 schrieb Steve Revilak:

> What is the best way to follow emacs development?  Just check out the
> trunk [1] and rebuild on a regular basis?

Yes, and also trying to compile the sources differently to see how
robust they are. I am using libraries from Fink and from MacPorts and
see (or better: saw on Tiger, on Leopard I haven't had the opportunity
yet to compile GNU Emacs) differences.

> Are there incremental branches done between release versions?

GNU Emacs versions are released...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: Tracking Emacs Development
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12400.1260152858.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-07 15:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-07 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

monnier> The original reason for the change was that nobody wanted to
monnier> maintain the "Carbon" port (i.e. the OSX code used in
monnier> Emacs-22).  Now that we switched, we have no intention to go
monnier> back, so please help us improve the NS code in Emacs-23 by
monnier> reporting (via M-x report-emacs-bug) the problems
monnier> you encounter.
srevilak> Thanks for the nudge.  I have reported more bugs :)

Thanks.

> To me, Emacs is a very important piece of software, and I would like
> to do what I can to help it improve.
> What is the best way to follow Emacs development?  Just check out the
> trunk [1] and rebuild on a regular basis?

Yes, that is ideal.  If you do that, you'll probably want to keep an eye
on emacs-devel@gnu.org (it's a fairly high-traffic list, tho), for known
breakage and things like that.

> Are there incremental branches done between release versions?

No.  We do have pretests, tho (the one for 23.2 will start
real-soon-now), so you could help a lot by trying out the pretests and
hammering on them to try and fix more bugs before the release.

* Re: Tracking Emacs Development
@ 2009-12-08  1:13       ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-08  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs