all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-26 16:10 LanX
       [not found] ` <mailman.11571.1259257397.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: LanX @ 2009-11-26 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi

I'm trying to trigger insertion of  text-snippets into the current
buffer/point from external scripts.

E.g I tried from bash to call

emacsclient -e '(insert "huhu")'

and

emacsclient -ne '(insert-file "~/tmp/tst.pl")'

but without success... what am I missing? Do I have to select the
current point?

(I already checked that client and server communication works)

Any help appreciated

Cheers
  Rolf

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-26 17:42 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.11571.1259257397.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-26 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> I'm trying to trigger insertion of  text-snippets into the current
> buffer/point from external scripts.
>
> E.g I tried from bash to call
>
> emacsclient -e '(insert "huhu")'
>
> and
>
> emacsclient -ne '(insert-file "~/tmp/tst.pl")'
>
> but without success... what am I missing? Do I have to select the
> current point?

You have to select buffer.

@ 2009-11-26 19:49   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2009-11-26 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

On 26 Nov., 18:42, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to select buffer.

well the question was more how to find the last selected buffer...

anyway after some fiddling I found a working approach: 8)

emacsclient -e '(progn (switch-to-buffer (car (buffer-list)))(insert
"huhu"))'

@ 2009-11-26 20:45     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-26 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:49 PM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 26 Nov., 18:42, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You have to select buffer.
>
> well the question was more how to find the last selected buffer...
>
> anyway after some fiddling I found a working approach: 8)
>
> emacsclient -e '(progn (switch-to-buffer (car (buffer-list)))(insert
> "huhu"))'

Is that guaranteed to give the current buffer on the selected frame?

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-29 18:34       ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2009-11-29 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Is that guaranteed to give the current buffer on the selected frame?

you're asking me? :)

I don't know, till now it worked fine!

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-29 18:36         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Is that guaranteed to give the current buffer on the selected frame?
>
> you're asking me? :)
>
> I don't know, till now it worked fine!

What does the doc string tell you?

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-29 18:42           ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2009-11-29 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> What does the doc string tell you?

What does Lennart want to tell me?

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-29 21:54             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-29 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> What does the doc string tell you?
>
> What does Lennart want to tell me?

That he is interested in if the documentation in this case is good
enough. Actually he does not think so, but someone else might find it
better.

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-29 23:52               ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2009-11-29 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> That he is interested in if the documentation in this case is good
> enough. Actually he does not think so, but someone else might find it
> better.

Lennart, answering with trivial questions sounds much like the therapist
finally got access into gnus! ;-)

No, the documentation I saw so far is not good enough.

But I didn't read *all* the docs thats why I'm asking here for help and
insight...

oh ...

...well googling for buffer-list brought deeper insight, it's in the
elisp-info:

"The order of the buffers in this list is based primarily on how recently
each buffer has been displayed in a window. "

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/The-Buffer-List.html

Sufficient? :)

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-30  0:10                 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> That he is interested in if the documentation in this case is good
>> enough. Actually he does not think so, but someone else might find it
>> better.
>
> Lennart, answering with trivial questions sounds much like the therapist
> finally got access into gnus! ;-)
>

> No, the documentation I saw so far is not good enough.
>
> But I didn't read *all* the docs thats why I'm asking here for help and
> insight...
>
> oh ...
>
> ...well googling for buffer-list brought deeper insight, it's in the
> elisp-info:
>
> "The order of the buffers in this list is based primarily on how recently
> each buffer has been displayed in a window. "
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/The-Buffer-List.html
>
> Sufficient? :)

I wouldn't say so ;-)

It is unclear to me what "displayed in a window" mean.

* Re: external script inserting text at point
@ 2009-11-30  0:33                 ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-11-30  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs