all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* has frames behavior changed?
@ 2009-11-07  6:27 Charlie Zender
From: Charlie Zender @ 2009-11-07  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi,

this message refers to using emacs 22.2.1, and
prior versions, on ubuntu linux.

once upon a time, until about 6 mos. - 1 yr. ago,
each emacs frame i opened behaved like a sub-process
of a single emacs process, e.g., if the same buffer
were displayed in multiple frames then editing that
buffer simultaneously updated all the frames.
now, though, when i open multiple frames in emacs,
the frames do not seem to know what's going on in the
other frames. i have not changed how i start emacs
at all. i like the old behavior better. anyone know
how to recover it?

gracias,
charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)

* Re: has frames behavior changed?
       [not found] <mailman.10207.1257576016.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-07 13:02 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-07 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Charlie Zender <zender@uci.edu> writes:

> hi,
>
> this message refers to using emacs 22.2.1, and
> prior versions, on ubuntu linux.
>
> once upon a time, until about 6 mos. - 1 yr. ago,
> each emacs frame i opened behaved like a sub-process
> of a single emacs process, e.g., if the same buffer
> were displayed in multiple frames then editing that
> buffer simultaneously updated all the frames.
> now, though, when i open multiple frames in emacs,
> the frames do not seem to know what's going on in the
> other frames. i have not changed how i start emacs
> at all. i like the old behavior better. anyone know
> how to recover it?

If you really create new frames (and not launch a new emacs instance),
then I serriously doubt that you cannot see all the buffers from all
the frames.  Use C-x C-b in all your frame and check that you get the
same buffer list from every frame.

To create a new frame, you can use C-x 5 2 or M-x make-frame RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: has frames behavior changed?
@ 2009-11-07 13:08 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-11-07 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Charlie Zender; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Charlie!

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:27:18PM -0800, Charlie Zender wrote:
> hi,

> this message refers to using emacs 22.2.1, and prior versions, on
> ubuntu linux.

> once upon a time, until about 6 mos. - 1 yr. ago, each emacs frame i
> opened behaved like a sub-process of a single emacs process, e.g., if
> the same buffer were displayed in multiple frames then editing that
> buffer simultaneously updated all the frames.  now, though, when i open
> multiple frames in emacs, the frames do not seem to know what's going
> on in the other frames.

Could you, perhaps, be a bit more specific?  Please give us a recipe, in
terms of keystrokes, for what you do, what you used to see happening, and
what you now see happening (or not happening), but in more precise terms
than "do not seem to know what's going on in other frames".  :-)

> i have not changed how i start emacs at all. i like the old behavior
> better. anyone know how to recover it?

Yes, hopefully, just as soon as you tell us EXACTLY what has changed.

Have a great and fruitful afternoon!

> gracias,
> charlie
> --
> Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
> University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).