all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs - some navigation keys aren't working
@ 2009-10-03  9:18 Daniel Dalton
From: Daniel Dalton @ 2009-10-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

A few of my navigation keys in emacs don't appear to be working, for
example meta (alt key), shift and , to go to the top of the file does
nothing. Same with bottom of file. It seems to work fine when it is ran
from x though. Used to work fine, before my holiday, not sure what has
changed. I've done a few updates and perhaps something else to cause
this issue, but I'm not sure. so does anyone know what I've done? Has
the keymap or layout settings been changed? I'm not sure why it works in
X and not on the console? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan.

* Re: emacs - some navigation keys aren't working
       [not found] <mailman.7926.1254561538.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-03  9:40 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-10-03  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A few of my navigation keys in emacs don't appear to be working, for
> example meta (alt key), shift and , to go to the top of the file does
> nothing. Same with bottom of file. It seems to work fine when it is ran
> from x though. Used to work fine, before my holiday, not sure what has
> changed. I've done a few updates and perhaps something else to cause
> this issue, but I'm not sure. so does anyone know what I've done? Has
> the keymap or layout settings been changed? I'm not sure why it works in
> X and not on the console? Any ideas?

X delivers key events, the console character sequences.  If your console
has no character representation for a certain key combination, there is
no magic Emacs can engage in for finding out the key presses.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: emacs - some navigation keys aren't working
@ 2009-10-03  9:43 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Dalton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.10.2009 um 11:18 schrieb Daniel Dalton:

> It seems to work fine when it is ran from x though.

X11 can use "synthetic key events" which inside a terminal emulation
are not available. And some terminal emulations even offer less than
others... And the rich ones can be artificially restricted when
giving them the wrong terminal capabilities.

C-h b shows all key bindings available in this major-mode. With C-h k
you can check whether GNU Emacs sees the key combination. Then you
can sort your own key bindings into those which work only in a
windowing environment and those which work always.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: emacs - some navigation keys aren't working
@ 2009-10-03 12:07   ` Daniel Dalton
From: Daniel Dalton @ 2009-10-03 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:43:05AM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> X11 can use "synthetic key events" which inside a terminal emulation
> are not available. And some terminal emulations even offer less than
> others... And the rich ones can be artificially restricted when
> giving them the wrong terminal capabilities.

Ok, thanks.

This did the trick.
loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
(As root)

Hopefully it stays on next reboot:p

Thanks,
Dan.