all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp ssh kludge
@ 2009-06-29  4:50 prad
From: prad @ 2009-06-29  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

according to the tramp manual if i want to connect through a different
ssh port i need to do:
/host#42:
which will pass -p 42

however, it hangs. connecting on the standard port without the kludge
was perfect. how do i connect using a different port?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

* Re: tramp ssh kludge [SOLVED]
@ 2009-06-29  5:17 ` prad
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: prad @ 2009-06-29  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:50:59 -0700
prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:

> according to the tramp manual if i want to connect through a different
> ssh port i need to do:
> /host#42:
> which will pass -p 42
>
> however, it hangs. connecting on the standard port without the kludge
> was perfect. how do i connect using a different port?

just found a way to solve the issue by using sshx instead of ssh.
put (setq tramp-default-method "sshx") in .emacs and the kludge works
fine. anyone know why it's called a kludge? sounds somewhat derogatory.

--

@ 2009-06-29  5:20 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.1479.1246260880.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-06-29  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> according to the tramp manual if i want to connect through a different
> ssh port i need to do:
> /host#42:
> which will pass -p 42
>
> however, it hangs. connecting on the standard port without the kludge
> was perfect. how do i connect using a different port?

Syntax looks OK. Which Tramp version do you use?

Did you enable traces, for checking what happened?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp ssh kludge
@ 2009-06-29  7:03 ` Jonathan Groll
       [not found] ` <mailman.1479.1246260880.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2009-06-29  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:50:59PM -0700, prad wrote:
>according to the tramp manual if i want to connect through a different
>ssh port i need to do:
>/host#42:
>which will pass -p 42

Try putting the following into ~/.ssh/config
host HOSTNAME_HERE
     Port 42

Regards,
Jonathan

* Re: tramp ssh kludge [SOLVED]
       [not found] ` <mailman.1479.1246260880.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-29  8:31   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-06-29  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> anyone know why it's called a kludge? sounds somewhat derogatory.

Historical reasons, maybe it was intended to implement this in a
different way later on. But this happened never.

Could be changed, I guess. Likely I'll do.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp ssh kludge
@ 2009-06-29 20:23   ` prad
From: prad @ 2009-06-29 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:03:27 +0200
Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> wrote:

> Try putting the following into ~/.ssh/config
> host HOSTNAME_HERE
>      Port 42

thx jonathan.
doing this let's me going with ssh and not have to specify the port.
it also works with emacs if i use sshx (but not ssh) and not have to
type /host#42