all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 16:44 Ben Badgley
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1245950536.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ben Badgley @ 2009-06-25 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?

I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
who may better explain that voodoo to me

2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?

Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
attempt correcting it posted as well.

3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?

Hope not on this end.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
       [not found] <mailman.1253.1245948264.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-25 16:58 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-06-25 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> writes:

> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>
> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
> who may better explain that voodoo to me
>
> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>
> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
> attempt correcting it posted as well.
>
> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>
> Hope not on this end.

I have been through this.

The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
compile. It really is not that difficult. I know you said you didn't
want to hear but thats what i said at first. and the build has become a
LOT easier than a while ago.

Why did I dump debian emacs? Because they do all sorts of smart stuff
with system files that simply confused me and anyone I asked for help
from. The general consensus was "you're on your own" when I mentioned
debian in #emacs irc channel!

The only issue then is getting your "generally used" files from the
emacs wiki or elsewhere that does not ship with emacs. It doesn't take
long. I store it all in a ~/.emacs.d/lisp directory and add that to my
loadpath as is well documented elsewhere.

So, uninstall all emacs stuff!

Then:

we go to the command line and install the stuff we need to build emacs:

,----
| sudo apt-get install build-essentials
`----

then go here and read :

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

Knowing what we want to do, we go to the command line change to a
directory where you want to build emacs and do:

,----
| cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
`----

Then cd into out new emacs directory and:

,----
| ./configure
| make
| sudo make install
`----

The ./configure stage MIGHT give errors - goto Google or back here for
specific help.

Try it!

regards

Richard.

@ 2009-06-25 17:04 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2009-06-25 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Ben> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?

    Ben> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
    Ben> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
    Ben> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the
    Ben> weekend who may better explain that voodoo to me

Packages for Debian can be found at

   http://emacs.orebokech.com/

Works for me for I don't know how long...

    Ben> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?

    Ben> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
    Ben> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code
    Ben> to attempt correcting it posted as well.

    Ben> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?

    Ben> Hope not on this end.

There is a Debian Emacs policy which solves the problem for Debian to provide
different flavors of emacsen without duplicating a lot of lisp files but makes
a lot of people---including Emacs developers---angry who feel that the solution
is inadequate. Feel free to read up on this topic ;-)

By the way, emacs 23 isn't released. So you can't really blame Debian for
shipping a released version.

Toto

--
"No amount of googling and copying and pasting can replace the intellectual
flexibility developed by reading whole books."  Alan Gibbons (The Observer,

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 17:21 ` Nurullah Akkaya
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1245950536.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-06-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com>wrote:

> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>
> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point, although
> am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid saying cvs or
> git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend who may better
> explain that voodoo to me
>
> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>
> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It couldn't
> sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to attempt
> correcting it posted as well.
>
> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>
> Hope not on this end.

AFAIK for 23 your only change is to compile it your self but it is really
easy.

To build it from source first make sure you have the following packages
installed

build-essential
xorg-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libjpg-dev
libgif-dev
libtiff-dev

then checkout latest code using

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs

this will create an emacs directory and put the sources in it.

in order to build it go in to the directory and issue

./configure
make bootstrap
make
make install

that's it.

--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 20:38 Benjamin Badgley
From: Benjamin Badgley @ 2009-06-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'll paraphrase a bit.

Nurullah Akkaya:

Have the following:

build-essential
xorg-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libjpg-dev
libgif-dev
libtiff-dev

Got all the things I need to have.

Richard Riley:

I have been through this.

The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
compile. It really is not that difficult.

Both: 1. Dump the Debian Emacs. 2. Do the cvs thing, ./configure, make, make
install.  "It's easy. :-)"

Alrighty then, ... :-)

I may wind up doing just that over the weekend. Looked up cvs on google just a
few moments ago. Presently, on my mother's Windows Vista system. Don't tell
her, I'm gradually converting it into a semi-*nix system.

Found something called Pharmacy for Gnome, which rocks because I use Gnome
as default WM on Debian. Although Xfce may soon replace it. And there is
even a Windows cvs client. Looks to be a snap to do given a broad scale
of comparrison.

--
Benjamin Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com>

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
       [not found] <mailman.1260.1245962363.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-25 21:03 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2009-06-25 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Benjamin> The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the
    Benjamin> simple enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs
    Benjamin> and compile. It really is not that difficult.

    Benjamin> Both: 1. Dump the Debian Emacs. 2. Do the cvs thing, ./configure,
    Benjamin> make, make install.  "It's easy. :-)"

    Benjamin> Alrighty then, ... :-)

They forgot to tell you that if you drop out of packaging, you'll have to
install, upgrade and maintain all the other things which make emacs so valuable
(Emacs is the extensible, ...) by hand, too. I'm talking w3m, mew,
cedet/semantic, xcscope, etc.

Go ahead, I did it for years. But now, with limited time, I don't want to miss
the advantages of packages.

You have been warned.

Toto

--
I never said "Do what I do", I said: "Do what I say."
Seth Gecko (George Clooney) in Quentin Tarantino's

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 22:30   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.06.2009 um 19:21 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:

> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> make

This simple make is not necessary after a 'make bootstrap'.

> make install

To install in the system area (/usr/local or such) a 'sudo make
install' is necessary.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out.
				– Second Law of Blissful Ignorance

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1245950536.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-26  1:37   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-06-26  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:21:46 +0300, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah@nakkaya.com> wrote:
> AFAIK for 23 your only change is to compile it your self but it is
> really easy.

ITYM `chance', but yes.  After struggling a bit with the
packaging of Debian, I decided it isn't worth the trouble and
compiled my own snapsnot of Emacs too.

> To build it from source first make sure you have the following
> packages installed
>
> build-essential
> xorg-dev
> libgtk2.0-dev
> libjpg-dev
> libgif-dev
> libtiff-dev
>
> then checkout latest code using
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
>
> this will create an emacs directory and put the sources in it.
>
> in order to build it go in to the directory and issue
>
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> make
> make install
>
> that's it.

NOTE: `make' is not necessary after `make bootstrap', and `sudo
make install' may be more useful when not building with superuser
credentials.

Having said that, this is a *very* nice, short and useful
description of some build requirements for Emacs 23.X on Debian
GNU/Linux.  Is there isn't already a page about this, do you
think we can convince you to add it to the EmacsWiki?

While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies
like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev'
and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for
OpenType font support.

If you have a bit of time and you can add this to the Wiki, that
would be great.  If you are a bit busy but you would feel ok
about someone else copying the text you wrote and using it as a
basis for a page of the EmacsWiki, just email me and I will add
the page.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-26  2:12   ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-06-26  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@withouthat.org> writes:

>     Ben> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>
>     Ben> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
>     Ben> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
>     Ben> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the
>     Ben> weekend who may better explain that voodoo to me
>
> Packages for Debian can be found at
>
>    http://emacs.orebokech.com/
>
> Works for me for I don't know how long...

I'll second that.  I too have been using it for some time and it works
well.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-26  4:30     ` Nurullah Akkaya
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1280.1245990651.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-06-26  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:21:46 +0300, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah@nakkaya.com>
> wrote:
> > AFAIK for 23 your only change is to compile it your self but it is
> > really easy.
>
> ITYM `chance', but yes.  After struggling a bit with the
> packaging of Debian, I decided it isn't worth the trouble and
> compiled my own snapsnot of Emacs too.
>
> > To build it from source first make sure you have the following
> > packages installed
> >
> > build-essential
> > xorg-dev
> > libgtk2.0-dev
> > libjpg-dev
> > libgif-dev
> > libtiff-dev
> >
> > then checkout latest code using
> >
> > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co
> emacs
> >
> > this will create an emacs directory and put the sources in it.
> >
> > in order to build it go in to the directory and issue
> >
> > ./configure
> > make bootstrap
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > that's it.
>
> NOTE: `make' is not necessary after `make bootstrap', and `sudo
> make install' may be more useful when not building with superuser
> credentials.
>
> Having said that, this is a *very* nice, short and useful
> description of some build requirements for Emacs 23.X on Debian
> GNU/Linux.  Is there isn't already a page about this, do you
> think we can convince you to add it to the EmacsWiki?
>
> While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies
> like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev'
> and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for
> OpenType font support.
>
> If you have a bit of time and you can add this to the Wiki, that
> would be great.  If you are a bit busy but you would feel ok
> about someone else copying the text you wrote and using it as a
> basis for a page of the EmacsWiki, just email me and I will add
> the page.

I have created a page

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSnapshotAndDebian

and linked it from

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBuilding

Feel free to edit/add anything.
--

@ 2009-06-26  6:47 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-06-26  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> writes:

> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>
> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point, although
> am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid saying cvs or
> git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend who may better
> explain that voodoo to me
>
> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>
> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It couldn't
> sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to attempt
> correcting it posted as well.
>
> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>
> Hope not on this end.

Just put

Francois Romain maintains debian packages of version 23. Go to

http://emacs.orebokech for instructions on how to get them.

I'm running a mixed testing/unstable version of Debian and have the
following in my sources.list file

deb http://emacs.orebokech.com sid main
deb-src http://emacs.orebokech.com sid main

I have no idea what that reference to the wiki is about. I have been
running CVS emacs for ages now on Debian without any problems. However,
if you do want to be able to use the debian elisp packages, you do need
to edit at least the startup.el file to add the Debian specific paths
and the emacs-version variable. The emacs-snapshot package from the site
above has already done this, so it will work with all the pre-built
debian emacs packages. The emacs snapshot packages from the above site
are re-built and updated every couple of weeks or so, which means they
stay relatively current with the latest CVS version.

Ive been running either the Debian emacs packages or the ones from the
above site since 2001 and have found nothing 'hindered' about the Debian
version. This comment probably is based largely on the fact that Debian
does its emacs packaging so that you can run multiple different versions
of emacs on the same system at the same time without them treading on
each others toes. some consider this makes things too complicated, but
I've personally found it very handy and its not caused any issues for
me. Sometimes, its useful to be able to bring up emacs 21 or 22 or 23 or
xemacs - especially if your developing some elisp and you want to test
compatibility.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-26  6:55   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-06-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> writes:
>
>> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>>
>> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
>> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
>> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
>> who may better explain that voodoo to me
>>
>> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>>
>> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
>> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
>> attempt correcting it posted as well.
>>
>> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>>
>> Hope not on this end.
>>

> I have been through this.
>
> The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
> enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
> compile. It really is not that difficult. I know you said you didn't
> want to hear but thats what i said at first. and the build has become a
> LOT easier than a while ago.
>
> Why did I dump debian emacs? Because they do all sorts of smart stuff
> with system files that simply confused me and anyone I asked for help
> from. The general consensus was "you're on your own" when I mentioned
> debian in #emacs irc channel!
>
> The only issue then is getting your "generally used" files from the
> emacs wiki or elsewhere that does not ship with emacs. It doesn't take
> long. I store it all in a ~/.emacs.d/lisp directory and add that to my
> loadpath as is well documented elsewhere.

This is the disadvantage of that approach - you lose all that handy
pre-packaged debian emacs elisp stuff. Its one of the main reasons I use
Debian.

Go to http://emacs.orebokech.com and you can get verson 23 of emacs that
is built as a deb and works with the debian emacs infastructure. Updates
happen regularly, so you stay pretty close to the head of the CVS
tree. Even better, Romain ensures the packages are pretty stable before
he releases them, so you don't get bitten by transient problems with
CVS.

> So, uninstall all emacs stuff!
>
> Then:
>
> we go to the command line and install the stuff we need to build emacs:
>
> ,----
> | sudo apt-get install build-essentials
> `----
>
> then go here and read :
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
>
> Knowing what we want to do, we go to the command line change to a
> directory where you want to build emacs and do:
>
> ,----
> | cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
> `----
>
> Then cd into out new emacs directory and:
>
> ,----
> | ./configure
> | make

Actually, if your building from CVS sources, you should be doing make
bootstrap rather than just make - at least for the first time. this will
ensure all the .el files are re-built. This is documented in the
INSTALL.CVS file in the root of the source tree.

--

@ 2009-06-26  9:07     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1280.1245990651.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-26  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.06.2009 um 03:37 schrieb Giorgos Keramidas:

> While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies
> like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev'
> and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for
> OpenType font support.

Do these dev packages also contain the shared libraries? There is one
other package for multilingual text support checked for by the
configure script: m17n-flt. I have to admit that I don't know
anything of it… (although I'd like to fetch one soon day the source,
compile, and install it on my Mac)

Nurullah's list is not really complete (the JPEG, GIF, TIFF dev
packages should be standard). GTK is the default choice now, but it's
also possible to use Xaw3d. Among the non-X11 graphics packages not
named yet is Xpm. To work in a terminal emulation ncurses are needed.
To use fonts libfontconfig and libfreetype are needed. For desktop
integration libdbus can be used. And to be able to convert between
the many encodings GNU Emacs supports libintl and libiconv are used.
In a modern X11 installation Pango gets used, and also Glitz and
Cairo and Pixman. Have I mentioned libexpat?

Running configure will reveal what all gets checked. And you can also
check which shared libraries GNU Emacs uses…

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.: A powerful algorithmic encoding technique
		employed in the creation of computer manuals.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-26 14:51     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-06-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> writes:
>>
>>> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>>>
>>> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
>>> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
>>> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
>>> who may better explain that voodoo to me
>>>
>>> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>>>
>>> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
>>> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
>>> attempt correcting it posted as well.
>>>
>>> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>>>
>>> Hope not on this end.
>>>

>> I have been through this.
>>
>> The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
>> enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
>> compile. It really is not that difficult. I know you said you didn't
>> want to hear but thats what i said at first. and the build has become a
>> LOT easier than a while ago.
>>
>> Why did I dump debian emacs? Because they do all sorts of smart stuff
>> with system files that simply confused me and anyone I asked for help
>> from. The general consensus was "you're on your own" when I mentioned
>> debian in #emacs irc channel!
>>
>> The only issue then is getting your "generally used" files from the
>> emacs wiki or elsewhere that does not ship with emacs. It doesn't take
>> long. I store it all in a ~/.emacs.d/lisp directory and add that to my
>> loadpath as is well documented elsewhere.
>>

> This is the disadvantage of that approach - you lose all that handy
> pre-packaged debian emacs elisp stuff. Its one of the main reasons I use
> Debian.

Well, yes, but it comes with disadvantages as I outlined. And also this
handy prepackaged stuff can be notoriously out of date and then you get
into testing packages and extra source lines. The other main reason
which I neglected to mention is that by having ALL the elisp utilties I
use in my elisp directory it makes it very easy for me to Unison my
emacs config between my multiple machines - my emacs is identical on all
machines.

> Go to http://emacs.orebokech.com and you can get verson 23 of emacs that
> is built as a deb and works with the debian emacs infastructure. Updates
> happen regularly, so you stay pretty close to the head of the CVS
> tree. Even better, Romain ensures the packages are pretty stable before
> he releases them, so you don't get bitten by transient problems with
> CVS.

Actually I got bitten with this package! Plus I like to use CVS.

>> So, uninstall all emacs stuff!
>>
>> Then:
>>
>> we go to the command line and install the stuff we need to build emacs:
>>
>> ,----
>> | sudo apt-get install build-essentials
>> `----
>>
>> then go here and read :
>>
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
>>
>> Knowing what we want to do, we go to the command line change to a
>> directory where you want to build emacs and do:
>>
>> ,----
>> | cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
>> `----
>>
>> Then cd into out new emacs directory and:
>>
>> ,----
>> | ./configure
>> | make
>
> Actually, if your building from CVS sources, you should be doing make
> bootstrap rather than just make - at least for the first time. this will
> ensure all the .el files are re-built. This is documented in the
> INSTALL.CVS file in the root of the source tree.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had thought it was built into the
makefile and dont think I have ever manually ran it! I'll check up.

>> | sudo make install
>> `----
>>
>> The ./configure stage MIGHT give errors - goto Google or back here for
>> specific help.
>>
>> Try it!
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Richard.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1280.1245990651.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-26 18:25       ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-06-26 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:30:25 +0300, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah@nakkaya.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
>> wrote:
>> Having said that, this is a *very* nice, short and useful
>> description of some build requirements for Emacs 23.X on Debian
>> GNU/Linux.  Is there isn't already a page about this, do you
>> think we can convince you to add it to the EmacsWiki?
>
> I have created a page
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSnapshotAndDebian
>
> and linked it from
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBuilding
>
> Feel free to edit/add anything.

Thank you! :)

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-27 14:31         ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-06-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well I just ended up compiling under debian -- thanks to this
discussion.

Here is a summary of the devs I needed to get with a few holes that I
could not figure out
(The 'Setting ups' are automatically generated by synaptic)

libpng, libpng12-dev
libxft-dev got...
Setting up libfreetype6-dev (2.3.7-2) ...
Setting up libfontconfig1-dev (2.6.0-3) ...
Setting up x11proto-render-dev (2:0.9.3-2) ...
Setting up libxrender-dev (1:0.9.4-2) ...
Setting up libxft-dev (2.1.12-3) ...
libtiff4-dev
Setting up libjpeg62-dev
libgif-dev
libsvga1-dev
Removed libgtk2.0-0-dbg
Setting up libgtk2.0-common (2.12.12-1~lenny1) ...
Setting up libgtk2.0-0 (2.12.12-1~lenny1) ...
Setting up gtk2-engines-pixbuf (2.12.12-1~lenny1) ...
Setting up libgtk2.0-bin (2.12.12-1~lenny1) ...
Removed  libglib2.0-0-dbg
Setting up libgtk2.0-dev did ...

Setting up x11proto-fixes-dev (1:4.0-3) ...
Setting up libxfixes-dev (1:4.0.3-2) ...
Setting up x11proto-composite-dev (1:0.4-2) ...
Setting up libxcomposite-dev (1:0.4.0-3) ...
Setting up libxcursor-dev (1:1.1.9-1) ...
Setting up x11proto-damage-dev (1.1.0-2) ...
Setting up libxdamage-dev (1:1.1.1-4) ...
Setting up libxi-dev (2:1.1.4-1) ...
Setting up x11proto-xinerama-dev (1.1.2-5) ...
Setting up libxinerama-dev (2:1.0.3-2) ...
Setting up x11proto-randr-dev (1.2.2-1) ...
Setting up libxrandr-dev (2:1.2.3-1) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-0 (2.16.6-1+lenny1) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-dev (2.16.6-1+lenny1) ...
Setting up libatk1.0-dev (1.22.0-1) ...
Setting up libmpeg3-1 (1.5.4-5) ...
Setting up libmpeg3-dev (1.5.4-5) ...
Setting up libsysfs-dev (2.1.0-5) ...
Setting up libdirectfb-dev (1.0.1-11) ...
Setting up libpixman-1-dev (0.10.0-2) ...
Setting up libxcb-render0-dev (1.1-1.1) ...
Setting up libxcb-render-util0-dev (0.2.1+git1-1) ...
Setting up libcairo2-dev (1.6.4-7) ...
Setting up libpango1.0-dev (1.20.5-3) ...
Setting up libgtk2.0-dev (2.12.12-1~lenny1) ...

Trying to remove the no for soundcard.h

Setting up libogg-dev (1.1.3-4) ...
Setting up libflac-dev (1.2.1-1.2) ...
Setting up libsndfile1 (1.0.17-4+lenny1) ...
Setting up libsndfile1-dev (1.0.17-4+lenny1) ...

But not sure it helped  --Some of the soundcard nos still remain...

Setting up librsvg2-dev
Setting up libdbus-1-dev (1.2.1-5)
Setting up libotf0 (0.9.4-1) ...
Setting up libotf-dev (0.9.4-1) ...