all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* enter key behaviour
@ 2009-06-12 20:38 prad
From: prad @ 2009-06-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw

in sh and php modes, pushing the enterkey takes you to the beginning of
the line, while C-j puts you at the beginning of the indent.

however, in python-mode (at least the one i have on archlinux),
enterkey and C-j both take you to beginning of the indent.

is this something i can change using emacs customizations (if so,
where?), or should i try to edit the python-mode script?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

* Re: enter key behaviour
@ 2009-06-14  6:10 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-06-14  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw

prad said the following on 13/06/09 06:38:
> in sh and php modes, pushing the enterkey takes you to the beginning of
> the line, while C-j puts you at the beginning of the indent.
>
> however, in python-mode (at least the one i have on archlinux),
> enterkey and C-j both take you to beginning of the indent.
>
> is this something i can change using emacs customizations (if so,
> where?), or should i try to edit the python-mode script?

C-h <yourKey>  will tell you what the key is bound to
there are a few ways to rebind it to something else:
* define-key
* local-set-key
* global-set-key

for more info see
  M-: (info "(Emacs)Key Bindings")

* Re: enter key behaviour
@ 2009-06-14  6:16   ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-06-14  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw

Bernardo said the following on 14/06/09 16:10:

> C-h <yourKey>  will tell you what the key is bound to
make this C-h k <yourKey>
e.g. C-h k RET

* Re: enter key behaviour
@ 2009-06-14  7:43     ` prad
From: prad @ 2009-06-14  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:16:41 +1000
Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> wrote:

> e.g. C-h k RET

thank you bernado!
i used the above and found that in python-mode the key is bound to
newline-and-indent, but the rest of the time it is not because
simple.el is used instead of python-mode.el

so i just commented out this line
(define-key py-mode-map "\C-m" 'py-newline-and-indent)
in the python-mode.el file to get the desired behavior.

--

@ 2009-06-15  7:36       ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-06-15  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

prad said the following on 14/06/09 17:43:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:16:41 +1000
>>
> so i just commented out this line
> (define-key py-mode-map "\C-m" 'py-newline-and-indent)
> in the python-mode.el file to get the desired behavior.

there's nothing from stopping you do it that way, but if you share your
PC with other users, or if you don't want your changes to be clobbered
when you upgrade GNU Emacs/python-mode it may be better to put
customisations into your init (.emacs) file

probably something along the lines (not tested):

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key py-mode-map "\C-m" 'newline))) ; or the function you want

also, as an alternative to "\C-m" have a look at the kbd macro
(kbd "C-m")

C-h f kbd RET

* Re: enter key behaviour
@ 2009-06-15 19:05         ` prad
From: prad @ 2009-06-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:36:48 +1000
Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> wrote:

> it may be better to put
> customisations into your init (.emacs) file

ah this is excellent bernardo!
it's what i originally wanted to do but wasn't sure how to.
your code worked perfectly:
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key py-mode-map "\C-m" 'newline)))

i was trying the define-key ... portion in my .emacs file and of course
it kept being overwritten by python-mode.

so i need to learn elisp properly and have found a good source for it.
thank you.