all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3124: more info
@ 2009-05-01 17:58 Yuanle Song
From: Yuanle Song @ 2009-05-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 3124

1. I find on someone has a similar problem on zh_CN.UTF-8 locale [1]. So
probably this problem has no direct relation with locale.

He is running a clean fvwm, start emacs gtk version, go back to terminal
start scim with
      LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" scim -d
after that emacs crashed with "Fatal error (11) Segmentation fault".
this post was on 2006-06-07, he mentioned he was using emacs 23.

2. I find scim-panel is not started when emacs started.
For most gtk+ program, scim-panel is started when the host program starts
because of gtk immodule. But when I start emacs, no scim-panel is started.
Does emacs support gtk immodule or only xim? I can't see gtk immodule
configure options from "./configure --help".

If only xim is supported, it is the same case as urxvt. But I can
run "scim -d" inside urxvt to get scim running. If I do that in emacs
shell, emacs crashes as I reported.

If gtk immodule is supported, scim-panel should be started when emacs
starts and it's not now.

links:
[1] http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/archive/index.php/t-212419.html

* bug#3124: more info
@ 2011-09-16 20:31 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuanle Song; +Cc: 3124

Yuanle Song <sylecn@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. I find on someone has a similar problem on zh_CN.UTF-8 locale [1]. So
> probably this problem has no direct relation with locale.
>
> He is running a clean fvwm, start emacs gtk version, go back to terminal
> start scim with
>       LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" scim -d
> after that emacs crashed with "Fatal error (11) Segmentation fault".
> this post was on 2006-06-07, he mentioned he was using emacs 23.

Is this still a problem with a current Emacs?

* bug#3124: more info
@ 2011-09-17  0:51   ` sylecn
From: sylecn @ 2011-09-17  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 3124

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Yuanle Song <sylecn@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 1. I find on someone has a similar problem on zh_CN.UTF-8 locale [1]. So
>> probably this problem has no direct relation with locale.
>>
>> He is running a clean fvwm, start emacs gtk version, go back to terminal
>> start scim with
>>       LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" scim -d
>> after that emacs crashed with "Fatal error (11) Segmentation fault".
>> this post was on 2006-06-07, he mentioned he was using emacs 23.
>
> Is this still a problem with a current Emacs?

I don't have the latest emacs to test the problem, but

in Emacs 23.2.1 (debian 6.0.2)

- under en_US.UTF-8 locale, I still can't activate scim using the XIM
  interface.

	$ emacs -Q &

- under zh_CN.UTF-8 locale, scim can be activated via the hotkey set in
  scim. The default hotkey is C-SPC, I have changed it to be <f12>.

  	$ LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" emacs -Q &
	# setting the LANG alone is enough, no need to actually change
	# your global system locale.

- Start "scim -d" under any LANG will no longer crash emacs.

        ==== output ====
        ~ $ LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" scim -d
        Smart Common Input Method 1.4.9

        Launching a SCIM process with x11...
        Creating backend ...
        Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.
        Failed to launch SCIM.
        ~ $
        ==== end of output ====

- If anyone have the same problem, I recommand scim-bridge.el[1], which
  make scim usable in emacs via a minor-mode, and it does not require
  XIM at all.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScimBridge